redesign

ReneeRash

I like your site and I love checking out tutorials too. Your color scheme is very nice. I like the red of the tiled background and the texture of the tiled background I'm just not sure the hard grid really works for it. What if you had the same color background with a pattern that incorporates curves or softer shapes? That's really my only suggestion for you. Nice job.

AK Web Design

The website design is pretty creative but I'm not that crazy about it. I think if you change the color scheme it might look more pleasant.

ImKevin

The background is horrible, the font is too small on the tutorial page, and the design is just really boring. This design is not very good at all. Keep trying, I'm sure you'll get better with more experience

che09

I like the tile back ground but,I don't think the color fits it. Try to change the fonts as well. I know you can do better! Good Luck!

zach

I'm not to crazy about it.

• I hate how it informs me that the page is 'Loading...', it's a very useless annoyance.
  • Everything feels to close together not allowing the eye to scan different elements properly.
  • The tiled background along with the transparent content box becomes a real distraction.
  • Font is to small on some pages
  • No real framework
  • Make fewer HTTP Request (16)
  • Add Expire Headers - They will increase load times and reduce overall bandwidth usage

Needs a lot of work design wise.

Dorky

* I hate how it informs me that the page is 'Loading...', it's a very useless annoyance.
>i hate going to sites and looking at the page but it scrolls jumpy because the page is still loading.
* Everything feels to close together not allowing the eye to scan different elements properly.
>when has less requirement for eye motion been bad design?
* The tiled background along with the transparent content box becomes a real distraction.
* Font is to small on some pages
>they call this fine print.
* No real framework
>you mean i don't use wordpress and every other third party script i can get my hand on, i wrote the framework.
* Make fewer HTTP Request (16)
>pretty good since i score in the top 17% of the web for page speed.
* Add Expire Headers - They will increase load times and reduce overall bandwidth usage
>why? i'm in the top 17%

posting for the sake of posting?

Last edited:

Dorky

Page Speed Score: 95/100

i just rechecked my site. every comment you made had no substance. not sure why you would put yourself out there like that but whatever. i do see that my bg is not making any fans so i'll change that soon. thx for the lagit feedback from the rest of you.

Dorky

and i'm using a 3 year old asus netbook with ubuntu and i only get the loading screen for a sec. it may be your machine.

zach

* I hate how it informs me that the page is 'Loading...', it's a very useless annoyance.
>i hate going to sites and looking at the page but it scrolls jumpy because the page is still loading.
* Everything feels to close together not allowing the eye to scan different elements properly.
>when has less requirement for eye motion been bad design?
* The tiled background along with the transparent content box becomes a real distraction.
* Font is to small on some pages
>they call this fine print.
* No real framework
>you mean i don't use wordpress and every other third party script i can get my hand on, i wrote the framework.
* Add Expire Headers - They will increase load times and reduce overall bandwidth usage
>why? i'm in the top 17%

posting for the sake of posting?

You came to the forum asking for advice about a redesign, then become angry when someone doesn't think you're the next Jakob Nielsen.

Get over it.

Using Wordpress has nothing to with the inability to write a framework but everything with the ability to realize that it offers better functionality.

The Loading... "feature" is useless. Internet users understand how pages load, no need to alarm them every time. It makes an unpleasant page transition. You ever wonder why others don't use it or do you think you were the first one to try it?

Fine Print - Text that Dorky thinks only part of his audience should be able to read.

>why? i'm in the top 17%

I make sure my web sites run the best possible. But I guess you rather just settle.

Lastly, If you come to a forum section called "Website Reviews" realize that's what people plan to do. And since you plan to offer web design and development services I hope you can learn to take criticism better, because in this field you are consistently judge.

youradumbass.png

Last edited:

Dorky

actually zack. my site is quite accessible and if you have a hadr time reading it, then zoom right on in buddy. my layout will keep up just fine. i could care less for your opinion and it was the original and final design. the point is you guys can't tell the dif between a spam post and a genuine post.

and yes. wordpress means you can't write code. i am currently working on my own cms to sell to people just like you, elite becuase you know enough to talk trash but not enough to do anything with it. not angry at all, very entertained. best wishes zack.

Dorky

oh. and i guess since you don't have eye problems it has escaped you but those that have trouble seeing do know that zoom is..........

Ctrl +

depending on your os you may be able to select text only. thats the layout test.

rwebber77

and yes. wordpress means you can't write code. i am currently working on my own cms to sell to people just like you, elite becuase you know enough to talk trash but not enough to do anything with it. not angry at all, very entertained. best wishes zack.

Why is everyone so bent out of shape? You did come here asking for criticism, and were noticeably angry with the criticism given. I disagree with your Wordpress "statement", some clients want Wordpress so they can manage their own site. Most developer's that use Wordpress use it's capabilities as a blog. Has absolutely NOTHING to do with one's ability write code. Let me put it into another perspective. You have a tree with a 4' circumference, would you grab an ax and do it by hand or fire up the chainsaw to get the project moving along quickly?

Ok, moving past previous posts and onto my opinion of your site. I definitely think you should consider changing that background, it literally hurt my eyes to stay on the page. The "fine print" is too small, and if it truly is "fine print" why not move it to the footer?

zach

actually zack. my site is quite accessible and if you have a hadr time reading it, then zoom right on in buddy. my layout will keep up just fine.

Suggesting users to zoom in because you don't know how to properly select font sizes is pretty sad. Users shouldn't have to take extra steps to make your website readable.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Wordpress is popular because it's free and open source.

Wordpress allows the average user (people you design for) to easily add functionality and make changes on the fly.

I wish you luck in spending years developing a CMS with even half the power of Wordpress, but hope you understand you will never be able to compete with a free and open source community.

Last edited:

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
'm not to crazy about it.
I hate how it informs me that the page is 'Loading...', it's a very useless annoyance.
Everything feels to close together not allowing the eye to scan different elements properly.
The tiled background along with the transparent content box becomes a real distraction.
Font is to small on some pages
No real framework
Make fewer HTTP Request (16)
Add Expire Headers - They will increase load times and reduce overall bandwidth usage

Needs a lot of work design wise.
in fact I agree with all that was said here, and your response was a bit touchy. did someone ruffle your feathers?
lets go through them with a more subjective response.
I hate how it informs me that the page is 'Loading...', it's a very useless annoyance.
this is most certainly not needed. 1. if it loads as fast as you say (which it doesnt) then we wouldnt see this message right?
Everything feels to close together not allowing the eye to scan different elements properly.
it's called white space and is a crucial design element that your website is missing. in fact along with typography and grids, whitespace is one of the most crucial elements to successful design. your site gets 0/3 on those 3 key design elements.
The tiled background along with the transparent content box becomes a real distraction. in fact the tiled background is mind-blowingly disgusting. what were you thinking?
Font is to small on some pages its not called fine print, its called "unreadable print" go to w3.org and read up on WCAG.
No real framework this has nothing to do with using wordpress. there is no real "design" or "flow" from one page to the next.
Make fewer HTTP Request (16)doesnt matter how fast you think it loads.
some web browsers can only do 2 requests at one. load time = epic fail.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
also from a design point of view. your about 15years off the mark.
and your response? I can just picture it now.
Client "hi Mr Gates, I just checked out the design you sent over, I dont think I like A, B and C, can we please have a redesign of those three things"
Mr Gates "You ungrateful Bastard, cant you see how beautiful my site is, actually I wont listen to you, your wrong, I'm right, la di da di da"
Client "I'm sorry you feel that way Mr Gates, I'll take my business elsewhere"
Mr Gates "F U, didnt need your business anyway"
client then tell everyone he knows not to do business with Mr Gates, Mr Gates gets no more clients...
change your attitude buddy.

Dorky

actually, to the mods and those that offered suggestions, sorry and thank you. to the upper level users that site inaccurate info in order to make the case for general nay saying, i think you misunderstand what forums are for.

tell your clients that scrolling and eye strain for the sake of nothing more is good design. then they will understand why you tug on them for filler content their site doesn't need just so you can charge them for extra work.

Last edited:

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
tell your clients that scrolling and eye strain for the sake of nothing more is good design

???
obviously you are uninformed.
did anyone mention anything about scrolling? perhaps, just perhaps a small "box" site like yours could actually increase in size, just enough to not feel like its all "squashed" inside. therefore you could increase your font size and the "eye strain" referred to is not needed, all without scrolling.

to the upper level users that site inaccurate info in order to make the case for general nay saying, i think you misunderstand what forums are for.
no, you asked for constructive criticism and thats what you got. hate to tell you but your site does not load fast at all. and the informative posts that mention this you just dismiss. its not inaccurate info, and its not nay saying.

forums are to ask questions, and get questions answered. if you dont like the answers then dont ask the questions. i think you perhaps misunderstand what forums are about as you seem to just want a pat on the back and a "job well done, your site is brilliant..."

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
then they will understand why you tug on them for filler content their site doesn't need just so you can charge them for extra work.

I've never requested "filler" content for any of my clients.
in fact more often than not I request they rewrite their content to be more succinct.
I obviously dont charge them for them rewriting their own copy.