When should I file taxes?

anna

I think it's anything over $400 you have to pay taxes on and you file a 1099 for anything over $800.

LouTheDesigner

I know that in NY, you only need to claim it if it's $599.00+, but that's per individual account. If you have clients here and there, and they are only amounting to (for example) $400 - $500 each, then you won't be getting a 1099. You can always ask clients upfront "So will I be receiving a 1099 for this?" I've had clients pay me over $1,000, but they never reported anything.

No 1099 = don't worry about it. You'll receive a 1099 by the end of January if they file one. Once Feb 1st hits, and you don't have anything from your client, you are free to go.

-Lou

GeneticOpera

Yeah, here it's anything over $500. So I'm going to go ahead and say yes, you gotta include that money on your taxes. Sorry.

LouTheDesigner

Thanks! If my clients don't send me one, should I get one on my own just to be safe?

Well, they are actually obligated to send you one by the end of January, should they choose to do so.

With your income bracket, (less than $25,000) only 0.81% of you will get examined. There are close to 60 million people in that bracket in the US.

-Lou

anna

I worked as an independent contractor once, and the client never sent me any kind of 1099. When I went to file taxes, I owed $3000 to IRS, which was fine as I had planned on owing.

I would suggest calling the IRS and asking them, just to be on the safe side. It takes a while to talk to them but they are incredibly helpful and will explain everything to the nth degree.

Tax laws differ from state to state so don't rely too heavily on the advice of strangers on a web forum. :)

LouTheDesigner

I worked as an independent contractor once, and the client never sent me any kind of 1099. When I went to file taxes, I owed $3000 to IRS, which was fine as I had planned on owing.

I would suggest calling the IRS and asking them, just to be on the safe side. It takes a while to talk to them but they are incredibly helpful and will explain everything to the nth degree.

Tax laws differ from state to state so don't rely too heavily on the advice of strangers on a web forum. :)

I worked as an independent contractor many many times, but anna is right here. I kindly accept the rebuke.

It is probably not good to listen to pseudo-lawyers in the internet.

-Lou

anna

Haha Lou! I like that term pseudo-lawyer...

That wasn't a rebuke, though, just my unpleasant experience as in indy contractor. I'm sure it's different for everyone. I always take the safest route when it comes to big brother's taxes though!