What is the basic size of web layout..

Down&Outdesigns

so im gonna start making my very first website.. in adobe dreamweaver CS4

and im wondering what is the basic size to make my layout in photoshop for my background image??

sitegrinder

There are various ways to deal with those concerns. sometimes it is best to have a seamless tiling image for your background. So no matter what resolution the viewers screen is set to it will fit the screen perfectly. And you can tile it either vertically, horizontally or both. This speeds up loading time if you have a small image repeating. however,If you use large image with no tiling, you can use CSS to fix them so the background will just be in place when scrolling the page. Also, you can try the best sitegrinder plug in for photoshop if you want to create stunning website. Good Luck!

Modern_Media

so im gonna start making my very first website.. in adobe dreamweaver CS4

and im wondering what is the basic size to make my layout in photoshop for my background image??

A good general rule - think of your website in equal parts. If you are going to use a 3 column layout, try a site that divides equally by 3!

An optimal website layout recommendation is: 960px
960 is divisible by 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 16, 20, 24, 30, 32, 40, 48, 60, 64, 80, 96, 120, 160, 192, 240, 320, 480, and 960.

Therefore a good place to start.