What is Linux's version of Dream Weaver?

Glenn

Okay, I'll now admit it. Windows sucks. Tomorrow I will be installing Ubuntu. I like Dream Weaver. But I can change. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
yep, stepping up to linux is only going up half an inch.
what you gain in an OS you totally lose in rubbish open source poor quality variety versions of all the good software.
don't care what anyone tells me. for example if I want to use photoshop i want to use photoshop not gimp.

if you really want to step up, move over to the dark side my friend and get a mac.

Frank

Also, Windows 7 really seems to be a decent OS -- I here nothing but good reports about it, from users. However, if you really wanna try Ubuntu, you should try Kompozer as editor.

LouTheDesigner

It's strange how some people are really stuck with DW when its design view makes you want to open the site up in a browser anyway. Although I have DW installed on a few machines, I just stay away from it now. All you need is an editor that has code folding, syntax highlighting, and line numbers for debugging. Here's what I use:

Windows 7 = Notepad++ & PHP Eclipse
OSX = BBEdit
Linux = Kompozer

Glenn

Here are the things I like about DW.

When I save a file, it saves it both on my system and on my server.

When I have a page that I am only working with text or mostly with text, I like using the wysiwyg to help out with that.

I'm used to it.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most of the Adobe CS2 will run on Ubuntu under Wine. Either way, what Lou said. Bring it up in a browser and code it by hand.

Absolution

It's strange how some people are really stuck with DW when its design view makes you want to open the site up in a browser anyway. Although I have DW installed on a few machines, I just stay away from it now. All you need is an editor that has code folding, syntax highlighting, and line numbers for debugging. Here's what I use:

Windows 7 = Notepad++ & PHP Eclipse
OSX = BBEdit
Linux = Kompozer

How do you like PHP Eclipse? I tried getting into IDE's but I found they sometimes slow me down. Lately I use Notepad++ and I have Apache+PHP installed so I can preview my work locally. Does PHP Eclipse offer debugging or warnings about coding techniques which are useful?

Glenn

yep, stepping up to linux is only going up half an inch.
what you gain in an OS you totally lose in rubbish open source poor quality variety versions of all the good software.
don't care what anyone tells me. for example if I want to use photoshop i want to use photoshop not gimp.

if you really want to step up, move over to the dark side my friend and get a mac.

Mac would be a lateral move. Linux is a large step up from either.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Linux is a step up.
Sure...
From someone who just "stepped up" last week.
Im no fool, dont treat me like one.
Tell me then if linux is so much better than osx why?
Im dying to hear...
Yes its better than windows, but that aint hard.
U know if you really want to run linux.
Run bootcamp/parallels on ur mac.
Or if ur that keen on windows too then triple boot a hack.
But linux as ur main os? Nah, not for me.