What is actually CMS?

indradoang

hi all,
I'm Indra from Indonesia, newbie in web design. I don't have a formal education in website, so there are many things i don't know. one of them is CMS, Content Managemet System.

I design website with macromedia dreamweaver. I use css for layout and PHP Mysql for web programming. I don't undertand what is CMS. Is it a website technology? Or is it a software? Are wordpress and joomla included CMS? If i Use dreamweaver to design website from zero, where is CMS part then?

Very thank you for your answer all ..:)

dderolph

This may help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_management_system. The key characteristic of CMS that makes it useful for many organizations is that it allows for a large number of people to contribute to and share stored data. For example, people in a variety of positions in a company could update certain parts of a website, the part that relates to their area of specialization in the company, as opposed to having to route all content changes through a webmaster.

mellowyellow

I could be out of the loop, but I thought wordpress was appreciably different from CMSs like Drupal or Joomla, and more comparable to other blog software like MovableType.

CaldwellYSR

Wordpress.com is where you can get a blog. Wordpress.org is the CMS. Technically .com is the CMS with alot of limitations that really just makes it good for blogs where .org is where you can get away from those limitations and it really opens up as a true CMS.

noelagnote

A content management system (CMS) supports the creation, management, distribution, publishing, and discovery of corporate information. It covers the complete lifecycle of the pages on your site, from providing simple tools to create the content, through to publishing, and finally to archiving. It also provides the ability to manage the structure of the site, the appearance of the published pages, and the navigation provided to the users.

MarkR

I could be out of the loop, but I thought wordpress was appreciably different from CMSs like Drupal or Joomla, and more comparable to other blog software like MovableType.

It is although it is forever becoming more versatile with the many plugins available for it these days. Either way it's a CMS non the less!