What do you find hardest about freelancing?

eloquentlunacy

What do you find the hardest about working as a freelancer?

For me:

Dropping everything in order to find work when I should be DOING work

Being social about a job that is, when you work from home, essentially the least social thing you could be doing.

krymson

The hardest part about freelancing for me, I don't consider what I do freelancing but I say this as a web designer/business owner in general, balancing time... Day Job, Family, Business... Not being able to work on projects while im at my day job, and too many distractions at home with family when i can work at home.

eloquentlunacy

Yep, that 'work at home' thing - doesn't matter whether I'm handling projects for my own business or slumming it on odesk, friends and family always seem to think I'm 100% available. My dad dropped in the other day and lost me 4 hours of money time!

Gavin

Something which I happen to agree. 24 hours in one day seems like always not enough.

At one point, doing my best to build up the reputation. On the other hand, completing the tasks given to continue getting the salary that pays the bills.

AsheSkyler

Working with people and researching stuff is the easy part for me. It's fun brainstorming with them and bringing the site to life.

Finding the people in the first place is bloody difficult. Marketing is not my forte.

Although if I had a steady stream of people my difficulty would likely be the usual "why do they think you can do anything anytime if you work from home?" I had to quit my job when I was 16 for the same reason because the manager thought "homeschooled" meant "available anytime".

bussetup

Working by the clock is the hardest :( You never know when you gonna sleep and when you gonna wake up as you are dealing with the clients from all over the world and they need you to be there for them. :/

sydneycraig

- finding work (especially now G slapped me with panda update) i have not actively searched for clients but will start to do so in the NY
- justifying prices. why should someone pay me AU$2XXX for a customised wordpress site when they can get something for 1/4 the price. explaining what i actually do and how it will benifit them is sometimes just over ridden by the price!
- no social network
- doing work when the TV, bed, beach etc etc is there for the taking!
- ...not much else. its all good :)