website

insinkerator

Hey I'm a complete noob when it comes to this kind of thing and im wondering if some of you can help me...

I'm trying to make a website for my band nothing complicated just something colourful with a few pictures and a link to bebo and myspace profiles but i have absolutely no idea as to what im doin... First of all is it possibele to design the website on your computer before you register your domain name and then load the site up onto the server.... And just out of interest how computer literate do i have to be to do this... like do i start from scratch with a Javascript or do i use HTML or what.... is their any programs i can download that can talk me throught the process??... And just to confirm my suspicions... cosidering that the site is gonna be so simplistic surely the most low-brow free web hosting sites will do the trick??:)

jnjc

I have to admit I don't know a lot about free hosting etc. but I know there are sites out there like www.freewebs.com that will let you setup a free website which allocates you a name along the lines of

yourname.freewebs.com

Theses sites have tools etc. to help you easily setup a page etc. It might be a good place to start.

Failing that if you do register your domain a lot of hosting companies have tools to help you create a site. If it's a basic site you need theses might be the way to go.

HTH,
JC

natenation

I would recommend downloading a trial of Dreamweaver to put together you site using HTML. As far as hosting i don't know. You can build your site on your computer and then upload it when you're done with it as well.

Hope this helps!

Healthy

You could also try creating a site on blogger.com or wordpress.com. They are both easy to use, have a fairly intuitive interface, and good looking designs. They are also free. You would end up with a domain such as bandName.wordpress.com and could link out to sites and also distribute(on a small scale) your music.

Otherwise if you want your own domain, You would probably want to set up wordpress, at first anyway, because you can literally be up and running in a few min. You can also download free templates so you don't have to know too much about design to get your site going.

art346

free web hosting

Hi'

Try 50webs.com, I think they offer free web hosting without ads, and I believe some
tools to help you get started.

good luck!

Last edited: