website header layout

coco1

Hi,

I redesigned my website and now have a large header. Analyzing Google Analytic I see that a lot of visitors click on the header and on the Home page button on the top menu while they are actually on the home page.

I suspect that since the header is large they just don’t see and don’t know they are actually on the home page and there is content below.

Please give me your opinion about it looking on the site. I don’t want to decrease the header size. What is possible to do in this case keeping the header size?

Thanks
www.jewsholidays.com

d a v e

you could move the navigation to the top of the page but that won't really work with your 'tabbed' navigation.
so i you recognise that you should make the header smaller somehow but don't want then not sure how we can really help?

it's a nice looking site but if it's not usable then you will have to sacrifice something in the layout to make it work. you might try moving the nav around (above or below the logo) and replace the current navigation with a page marker/breadcrumbs/page heading

maybe ?
jew1.jpg

Last edited:

coco1

No, this area cannot be used since this is an important part of the image.

What do you think if insert arrow with something like scroll down… (to the right of the blue column) will look OK? I couldn’t insert the example I made since the image size too big. How I can insert image like you did?

Thank you for response.

d a v e

"What do you think if insert arrow with something like scroll down… (to the right of the blue column) will look OK?" no i don't think it will ...

if i were you i would redesign the layout because it is fundamentally flawed (usability-wise) and move the navigation to the top and lose the tabs idea (there are other straightforward ways of highlighting and you can move to a 'button' format )
try using a layout with a smaller image of the wall

i would propose something like this (it's a bit chopped up and that but i only have a screenshot of your site to work with ;) )
jews2.jpg

coco1

I will think about placing navigation at the top-maybe it is friendlier.

But I don’t not agree than it’s going to resolve the problem. If customer doesn’t see lower part of the site because of the large header, he is not going to see it anyway with navigation on the top, on the bottom or on the side.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
But I don’t not agree than it’s going to resolve the problem. If customer doesn’t see lower part of the site because of the large header, he is not going to see it anyway with navigation on the top, on the bottom or on the side.
that is true to therefore MAKE THE HEADER SMALLER.
but at least they'll be able to navigate

d a v e

my version does have a slightly smaller header than yours so the content is higher than before- if it's not enough then you have to redesign the whole layout - no matter how much you think the main image is so important ;)

if you move the logo down into the sky so it is centred you will gain even more screen real estate

consider moving the happy purim bit to the right colum - freeing up that space it currently occupies and moving the main content high up the page

EDIT: i've made it about as tight as you can get it without reducing the size of the main image anymore

you can see ti better by opening the this in a new tab
http://gekkoweb.com/stuff/jews2.jpg

one further option would be to move the happy purim as a translucent overlay on top of the lower part of the main wall photo

Last edited: