website for freelance agricultural farm & project manager

annemarie

Hello everyone!

This is the new site I built for my father's company.

DHProjects

It's the second website that I made in my webdesign (hobby)carrier, witch started a year ago from scratch. Still learning and loving it!
Please your honest review

helloworld

great job here.. esp. if this is only your second site!
here's a couple of tiny things:
- footer shouldnt be empty.. at least add a sitemap link/copyright date if applicable
- some minor syntax errors on (at least) homepage and projects.html.. scan your site here. http://validator.w3.org/

would like to see some more of your work show up on here.

annemarie

Thanx a lot helloworld!

I agree about the footer. At first it was full of content! it had the contact info and form in it, clicking on the contact button would scroll down to the footer, but he didn't like that so it became a separate page.

And you will be seeing more from me! I just started a new project witch will be valid, html5/css3 and responsive. :)

d a v e

pretty good!

i'm not sure whether it would look more balanced with the welcome on the left and quote on the right

text is a touch on the small side

between paragraphs use either a space (margin/padding) or a first line indent on all paragraphs (except the first) using http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/sel_firstline.asp
- because you have a different initial cap then i would suggest simply putting space between each paragraph

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
You know, if that was my second ever site i would be pretty happy with it.
The design is clean, neat and flows.
The colour scheme is simple, but works.
And you havent fallen for any of the usual pitfalls that beginners do.
Nice work.
Dave had some good points re:typography, and likewise, keen to see more work.

Walter Warner

I actually really like the feel and looks of the website. The only problem I had was that it took a little longer than I wanted for the website to load. Also make sure to use alt tags for all your images, it is good practice for SEO.

leroy30

Well your way beyond a local website company that I've been laughing at for yonks..

http://www.simplygoodwebsitedesigncompany.co.nz/

Their website is utter rubbish in this day and age! And I know they are still running because I see their adwords campaigns from time to time.

That aside I think your website is fantastic for only your second site! Seems like everyone else here thinks the same as well. Great start for your hobby career!

In your header you are using a file called top_bgr.jpg which isn't working for you. The jpg file has artifacts in it that are causing your would-be-nice gradient to be granulated. For background gradients use a 1px wide .gif or .png image for the best effect!

Really busy so I can't scrutinise everything right now but that's jumped out at me! Otherwise, good work!

ciao

annemarie

For background gradients use a 1px wide .gif or .png image for the best effect!

Thanx for the tip!
I didn't do my research good; only use jpg (with high quality) if the image will have more than 256 colors. (am I correct?)
I fixed it right away! :)

leroy30

No probs.

Jpg is good for photos and images because you can get reasonable quality for a good file size and the details usually obscure any loss of quality. But for solid colours and gradients you will see the lossyness of a jpg come through. Also a gradient can easily get away with 255 colours or less!

d a v e

Also a gradient can easily get away with 255 colours or less!

i would say it depends on the gradient ;)

for that green background if you're using such a small slice of only a pixel or few i would prefer a high quality jpeg (i.e. low compression) or a png-24 - to me that gif looks a little banded. the difference in file size over such a small area will be insignificant - and my be larger for the gif because they're are no contiguous horizontal blocks of the same colour