Website Browswer Compatibility HELP!

andrew.daniels

Hey Guys.

My first post. Just decided to make myself a bit of a basic site as I start uni tomorrow and I will be able to update it as I learn new things. I just created a really basic layout however with firefox 3.5 it does not display right but looks fine in IE 8 (which i hate)

www.andydaniels.net

I did a one year TAFE course last year so I know a little bit about web design but nothing amazing.

Could someone please have a look and tell me where i've gone wrong?

If you need source files let me know and I can email them to you.

aracaris

I'm really not seeing any difference between IE8 and FF (in both of them on your about page your contents are disappearing partly under your navigation). However I recommend not designing primarily in IE, not at first.

Yes you need to test in a wide variety of browsers, but I suggest that you get it looking how you want in more standards compliant browsers than IE first, and then deal with IE's quirks afterward.

I also recommend testing it in earlier versions of IE using IEtester.

There will still be some visitors to your site using older versions of IE especially 7, and to a lesser extent 6, though those numbers are dwindling.
So I suggest making sure either that your site looks decent in those browsers too, or you could be more snarky and use javascript to send them a message that they are using an out of date browser and should update it.

EDIT: Let me know if this helps or not.

You have a lot of things absolutely positioned, that removes them from the flow of the page content, so it's like they aren't really there as far as your other content is concerned. I suggest playing around with not having the headerwrapper positioned absolute, so that it isn't removed from the flow of the page. Also instead of using all those non-breaking spaces you can position page content further down on your page by playing around with margin, and padding or giving the content it's own div and positioning it that way. But if you don't use absolute position on the headerwrapper div you may find that solves a good deal of the problem you are having.

Last edited:

Carry

Hi, everyone. I’ve read much about a new plugin for Photoshop – Divine plugin. However there is no information about it at Adobe’s official site. Have anyone tried Divine? It seems to be very useful for designers and developers.

aracaris

Here's what I see when I look at his site in FireFox (left, or top) and ie8 (right, or bottom). They are pretty much the same. I do still think that playing around with positioning, and not having absolute position on certain things would really help.

Attachments

• andysffscreen.jpg
    andysffscreen.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 26
  • andysie8screen.jpg
    andysie8screen.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 35