Webmaster tools not showing data?

leroy30

SEO gurus, i need some help! (please!)

For a long time my webmaster tools account has been showing exactly 60 impressions and no clicks for one of my websites. Analytics also told me google wasnt really sending any traffic our way and so i thought the site had been sandboxed.

But now our google trafdic is starting to finally climb again. Still very slowly but around 10 visits a day. Yet webmaster tools still indicates no data.

I have tried different urls i.e. One profile with www and one without www and it doesnt make a difference.

Any ideas of what else i should be trying to resolve this issue?

We are rebranding in february and moving to a new domain which im thinking about not redirecting to because of this issue; but ideally I'd like to work out whats going on.

The website is www.mobiletimeclock.co.nz and admitidly it comes up a bit short in the content department; but still why does our google referrals not show up in webmaster tools?

Cheers,
Leroy

chrishirst

Staff member
so i thought the site had been sandboxed.
There is no such thing and there never has been, EVEN back in 2005 when the "sandbox" was supposed to exist.

admitidly it comes up a bit short in the content department;
So WHY would Google want to show any of the URLs on the site to their users?

How about traffic that DOESN'T come from Google?

leroy30

Yeah; but Analytics is showing traffic COMING from google. So either Analytics is wrong, or webmaster tools is wrong.

I believe webmaster tools is wrong.

RE the sandbox; I know there's not really a sandbox but i'm using it as a term to mean *google thinks our urls are not very relevant to any users*. Or put another way; we've stuck our website in a box whereby no children wish to play :p

I think I've just set something up in webmaster tools wrong. or it's confused somehow because my webmaster tools is under my DVI profile whereas analytics is under my Mobile Time Clock profile. But I just cant figure it out.

chrishirst

Staff member
I believe webmaster tools is wrong.
It probably is

because my webmaster tools is under my DVI profile whereas analytics is under my Mobile Time Clock profile.
Have you used the correct authentication code with each website?

Are you using DNS, Meta Directive, or Document name authorisation?

leroy30

Have you used the correct authentication code with each website?
Yup; and checked it many times!

Are you using DNS, Meta Directive, or Document name authorisation?
Interestingly it is verified (successfully) with the HTML file method HOWEVER it has had failed attempts trying to verify using Google analytics.

I wonder if this is the problem;.. hmm.

EDIT: I tried changing the method from HTML to analytics and it verifies just fine.

Last edited:

chrishirst

Staff member
I would suggest that the BEST thing to do BEFORE making any descision is to check the TRUE arbiter of traffic sources your website server logs. External tools are not always accurate, but the access logs will show EVERY site access for ANY object request (hit).

Last edited: