Web Portfolio Opinions

lindsaynichole

Hello everyone! I'm trying to put a portfolio together and could use feedback/advice. I had an older version of my porfolio that has a dark scheme...but I wanted it to look brighter and more open (also less pics of me lol). Is the bright one better or worse? Or are both versions not looking so great... I would love some honest opinions.

PS: in the dark version most of the functionality and other pages besides 'home' are not set up right. (in the light version more things work)

thanks to all who help <3:D

NEW VERSION (light): http://lindsaygochin.x10.mx
OLD VERSION (dark): http://lindsaygochin.x10.mx/testPortfolio/index.php

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
well, the lighter version is better.

glad to see you dropped the languages from the menu, there's no need for that, really.

not a big fan of the background and you'll never get a professional job using comic sans!-- that needs to change straight away.

the code is quite messy, it needs a good overhaul.
the ipad portrait view is broken, the menu sits wrongly and things are positioned out of the main content box.

the images on your portfolio don't scale

and there isn't really any consistency in the content boxes on all the pages.

I would address all of that then consider further design changes. but on first glance those were my thoughts.

chrishirst

Staff member
I'm not sure why almost everybody has this prejudice against Comic-Sans as a font, I think that it gives a site a 'homely look and feel' rather than it being all hard-line, no nonsense, formality, if you are an accountant definitely not, but for a designer it just adds that 'friendly feel' to the pages.

But you should check the wording and spelling on the 'Tools' document, Goggle vs Google & framework is one word not two, lose the "Server Technology" bit and add a proviso to the document that states something like;

"These are resources that I found useful when learning web site design"

then it suggests to potential customers that you maybe don't need them any more. Whether you do or not is immaterial, it's the perception that counts.

Also drop the "For a friend" bit on your examples, as it suggest that you have never worked for 'clients', friends and family are still clients even if they don't pay you anything

lindsaynichole

Phreaddee

Thanks for looking. I was learning bootstrap while making the site so I didn't quite have the presence of mind to focus on making it responsive... I was just happy when things worked at all. (it was a blank bootstrap theme mostly used for the grid and practice with bootstrap)

I will try to organize things better and tidy up my code, however I am just out of college and was taught nothing but java... so I don't claim to be a seasoned pro, I'm just looking for a place to start. I was mostly just wondering if the design looks okay enough that employers might want to interview me.

Last edited:

lindsaynichole

chrishirst

I feel the same about comic sans. I used to look down on it, then I had a project where it made sense to use it and I realized it's actually kind of cute if your trying to be playful and friendly.

As for the spelling I have not even looked yet. So sorry for all the typo's you had to endure...and yes I will definitely be re-evaluating how I word things, I was mostly trying to get the layout down at this point.

Thanks for looking :)

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are much better "fun" fonts out there. Heck, there are better comic fonts out there. It looks cheap. It could be that it's just another victim of gross misuse...like Papyrus.

notarypublic

The light design does look pretty swell.

Based on this site (and what you know/are learning) I don't think you'll have any problems finding work. I'd recommend considering Angular.js over Backbone, in my area companies have more or less all abandoned Backbone for Angular/Ember/what have you.

JakClark

I'm not sure why almost everybody has this prejudice against Comic-Sans as a font, I think that it gives a site a 'homely look and feel' rather than it being all hard-line, no nonsense, formality, if you are an accountant definitely not, but for a designer it just adds that 'friendly feel' to the pages.

It was (still is, perhaps) such a ubiquitous type. But I grew a little love for it when I discovered Doge. :p