Web Design or SEO

Modern_Media

Good user interface is important because if a user can't find what he/she wants then they are going to go elsewhere.

However, if you offer SEO - you better darn well be able to give them results. Where we live, we see all kinds of "web designers" offering SEO when in reality, many of them (I say many because there are a few who do know) don't really know what it takes to deliver results.

Although, never complain about SEO companies who can't deliver, those companies will give you LOTS of business if you are able to deliver results!

Toxitalk

I actually disagree with the statement that you have to choose either SEO or design.

It is possible to code a site with is SEO, Acessible and design. But what is true is the more spec you add in, the more expensive the product.

SEO is not crucial to get people to your site, its a good thing to include, but you can get people to your site in other ways.

Acessibilty is something somewhat more important then SEO, that is to say if you get people to your site and they can not use it, then the SEO hard work has been wasted. But again its about target market. If its not a legal requirement and your target audience do not need the site to be acessible then its not really that important.

Design is really important, like in real life first impressions count and on a website this is paramount. If the site loads slowly, has spelling mistakes or just looks wrong people wont have trust in you and people will not use your service.

If you take a look at my site http://www.websitesbymark.co.uk you will see I have used clean visuals and a very simple message. I offer good quality websites at a good value price. For my search terms it lists first page on google, and I use some other techniques for getting customers.

When putting the site together I concentrated on the visuals, then worked on the SEO as a second part to it. I have not gone 100% seo as it will spoil my vision and will not look as good.

dmkeith2

Both are important

Obviously, both are important. If one is more important than the other, sure your User Interface is important.

You want to guide in a way to make the sale or get your point across.

SEO is important, if you want to get visitors to your website you should constantly work to improve your website. Keep adding content to your website if you want to do well in the engines, so make sure your website is made in a way it can grow and not remain stagnant.

tloomis999

I agree both are important and are not contradictory. Effective SEO can help get visitors to your website and a well designed user interface can help keep them there.