Username/ Login Scripts

premier_saxman

I can not figure out how to create a login/ Username script for my website. How is i done? What is the script for creating a user database on my site?

I am designing a website for my fraternity and I wanted to provide user logins so that the brothers can list our Pledge names, our Pledge Class, Occupations, age, and we can search for each other with in those different criteria to contact a specific brother.

I do not know if I am explaining what I want correctly, but here is my example, Let's say...

Ex. A brother logs into the site with the user name THE FLY and is looking for a brother that graduated 1999, that is also an Attorney and lives in Pennsylvania

What is the script to contain that information on my site?

thotheolh

This seems to sound like you need to use a server side scripting language. There a many server side scripting language to program in. The more common ones are ASP , JSP and PHP.

You can use Javascript (a client side scripting language) to access the database but it's not going to be secure nor easy.

I would advise you to read up on one of the 3 above scripting language first and then continue to explore on your own more about these 3 languages or more of te other languages I haven't mentioned. To create and access a database , you need to choose out of the many commercial or free databases available , one that you would like to use. Some of the common free databases are MySQL , PostgreSQL , SQLite ...

Login scripts are merely just scripts as any other scripts but they are simply desgined to check the username and password you entered matches those in the database before allowing the user to further proceed on.

To make things simple, find a script you want to learn (PHP , JSP , ASP ...) and a database you want to work with (MySQL , PostgreSQL , SQLite ...). You also need to learn Structured Query Language (SQL) which is a set of language used to query the database to add , modify , remove , view data in a database.

Or to make things very simple , you can out source the programming script and database portion to someone expert at it.

premier_saxman

Username scripts

Thank you for the replies

I am currently teaching myself asp.net and sql is what I thought I should be using to handle the user name issue. SQL is the hard part to me

I do not understand how to write the solution to make my website create usersnames, save different criteria about the users, and you can search among the different criteria to narrow the search

thotheolh

You have to find ASP scripts to connect to your database via ODBC or ADO or whatever connection or framework required. What part of the SQL is difficult ?

ms2134

You can always take a look at Hotscripts.com for some Login scripts.

There are so many scripts and i believe that Google would be a great place to start.

~ Mike