Use javascript or flash?

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi all,

I want to improve the animation for an advertisment on our web site. I am new to using javascript for animation purposes. I have used flash in the past, but AS3 is still very new to me also. I do know how to make swfs transparent and float over the web site content but my question is, what do you think is the better method flash or javascript? recommended tuts?

(Obviously there is a wider range of options with flash but I not looking to get crazy with this ad, just something sharp and simple)

Thanks in advance for the help.

DamienDarwick

Stick with what you know, that's usually the best idea. Although flash sometimes slow a site down, but if its a simple graphics then it should not be too imposing on the site.

Wickedself

If it;s animation then Flash is what you are looking for. JavaScript can be used for animations but I would not recommend it. Another problem with JavaScript is browser compatibility whereas Flash is independent of browser.

LouTheDesigner

Another problem with JavaScript is browser compatibility whereas Flash is independent of browser.

Flash may be independent of the browser, but there are still a lot of people that don't have the current Flash player. Of course, you can export the SWF to be compatible with older Flash players, but this doesn't always happen so easily if you are using the current version of actionscript.

I've decided to start making video tutorials of flash, so I chose to make you a tutorial of how I would go about making this advertisement in Flash.

The screen capture software that I used isn't the best, but I think it's clear enough.

So here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCakpgRotvM

Let me know what you think.

Feel free to request a tutorial that covers a particular part of Flash.

-Lou

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Lou,
I appreciate the help. The tutorial did help, most of the actionscript I know is from AS2 days. AS3 just has a different style that I am not used to yet. I am running CS3 right now on my Mac. If you have any other cool animations that you would like to share, I am all ears. Let me know when you post some more tuts.

Thanks again,

John.