To register or not to register?

Kiwi

Hi! I'm an absolute newbie in the website area and am trying to think up a website for my SCUBA diving school.

I have searched this forum but can't find similar posts, so here goes:

What's the word on having users register on your site as opposed to letting people browse around "freely"? :confused:

Of course, I'd like people to register so I can build my database, but I get people saying that will push users away because most people don't want either the hassle of registering or of getting spammed. :eek:

I'd much appreciate your feedback on this!

Thank you,

Kiwi

wachtn

Websites, like most information, should be free and openly accessible to all people. Making some one register just to see your site generally a bad thing. For your site about your school, doing that would be a very very stupid thing.

Think about it, you are an internet user. With the millions of sites on the web just like this one. Why should you take extra minutes out of your day to sign up just to see if this site is worth your time? You wouldnt!

ADVICE
Make the front end of your site open to all users. Give your viewers the option to sign up for your news letters. Being a school, you might want to think about having a user area containing many of your lessons. The front area should have some good basic/beginner informations. The back end should have the more advanced information. This area could (better if its free with users being able to add to it) be paid access, cheap but paid, and free to your students. Make sure the information is good/useful stuff. I hate the idea of paying for information online but if Im getting an online refresher course for 20$ a year I might think about it.