The Adobe / Apple Debate

LouTheDesigner

Ok, so I'm sure you've all heard about Apple rejecting Flash on it's iPhone and iPad.

Now, I've done a lot of mobile phone development, and I'm very much in support of this, and I think Jobs hit it on the money with his short and informative speech:

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

But now, there are rumors around claiming that Adobe may try to sue Apple over this due to unfair businesses practices.

http://www.itworld.com/legal/104320/adobe-vs-apple-going-get-uglier

That article is a bit older, but I'm just too lazy to search google right now.

What do you all think of this? I think it would be an unfair business practice for Apple to be forced to incorporate Adobe. Whether it is better or worse for Apple; I'm not sure. But Jobs is a big boy and knows what he's doing I suppose.

-Lou

anna

Yeah because Adobe is sooo open and compatible. Like Jobs said, when flash WORKS right on their products, then Apple will support it...

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
My two cents...

I think Adobe has no chance with a lawsuit against Apple.

I have much respect for both companies. I have been an avid user of Adobe software through the last decade and I love my MBP (will also be getting an iPhone later this year when Verizon gets them)

As for Flash, very cool program but good riddance. It will soon be outdated with more efficient technology, specifically html 5. Flash has be infamous for being a memory hog and there are better ways delivering the same rich media.

Does this mean flash will die? No.
I am sure there will be plenty of folks still using this app, building cool games, animations, etc. for years to come.

All in all I applaud Apple for the choice they are making.

LouTheDesigner

The Adobe has launched their we heart choice campaign to counter the anti-flash sentiment coming from Apple's Steve Jobs & educate users about the 'truth' on Flash.

I enjoy the freedom of choice too, like Apple's choice to not allow Flash for obvious reasons. Or, the choice of people to jailbreak their iPhones to enable Flash via a few Cydia apps.

What I enjoy more is innovation, and promoting what's best. This is exactly what Apple is doing. I know a lot about mobile technology, and I think this was a great movie for Apple.

Now, I don't know much about a lot of things (for example, history). If I wanted to read a particular history text book, but all of the experts said it was filled with garbage and should be banned, I would listen to them. And that's a perfectly fair analogy of how the average consumer should respond to this situation, though I doubt they will.

They might by into this "choice" nonsense and think Apple is limiting their freedom, although they have no idea what is best for them and future technologies.

I can hear somebody saying "but it's still limiting choice." To go back to my analogy I would respond by saying, "OK, nobody is forcing you to buy an iPhone, or listen to the experts."

-Lou

fondox4

no flash on the iphone and ipad, because if there was, then apple would sell far less apps. many users would then play those games in the browser in flash. simple as that.

LouTheDesigner

no flash on the iphone and ipad, because if there was, then apple would sell far less apps. many users would then play those games in the browser in flash. simple as that.

I think you may be confused. Although you can't view Flash content on a web page, Apple DOES allow iPhone apps to be created in Flash.

-Louis