text over a usemap image ?

expatCanuck

Greetings -

I'm modifying my site to implement a tabbed notebook metaphor.
I've developed a handful of notebook .jpgs, and example of which
is here

http://oldwithoutmoney.com/wip/index2.html

As an initial approach, I'm using a usemap to facilitate tab navigation.
Moving the cursor over a tab shows that the usemap works --
each tab is a link to another page (not yet placed on the site).

But just as important is the ability, for any given page, to define
an area in the .jpg where I can place editable text (e.g. - where
the taped photo is).

Currently, any text I add shows up before or after the entire image
(i.e. - on the black bacground before or after the wood grain).
But if I place the image in the background, that breaks the usemap.

Can text be added over an image being used as a usemap and, if so, how?

Alternately, might I have to (learn and) create some javascript
to implement the tab navigation?

Thanks,

- Richard

Absolution

I never tried this myself, but I would think that CSS would allow you to have text over such an image, possibly using its float commands. But using a usemap does make it harder. Personally I would break the images apart and align them using divs.

expatCanuck

I never tried this myself, but I would think that CSS would allow you to have text over such an image, possibly using its float commands. But using a usemap does make it harder. Personally I would break the images apart and align them using divs.
Turns out that a 'Div on Div' approach worked. The solution came when I realized that I had neglected to specify 'px' after the numeric position parameters, and so the text Div that I had defined stayed stuck at the top left.

Absolution

Turns out that a 'Div on Div' approach worked. The solution came when I realized that I had neglected to specify 'px' after the numeric position parameters, and so the text Div that I had defined stayed stuck at the top left.

The solution usually ends up being that! lol. CSS is easy to learn but almost impossible to master lol.

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Using an image map seems to be an outdated solution. The only benefit I see to it is the fact that you can create no-rectangular map areas (clickable sections) as opposed to anchors that can only be rectangular.

My suggestion:
Set the image as a background-image for an element
Place the anchors as needed within this parent element using absolute positioning