Testing different browsers.

vheiar03

I am a new developer about to launch my first 2 websites. How would I go about testing the websites in different versions of browsers and OS's. should i get machines detected just to testing? I am new so any advice/ tricks would help.

annemendez

i suggest you test your 2 sites first on the latest version of Firefox, IE, Flock, Opera, and Safari.

If they work on the latest versions, then, they'd probably work on the older ones.

smoovo

If they work on the latest versions, then, they'd probably work on the older ones.

It's quite a bit wrong. The new browsers working better and covering more type of codes than older versions. For example, IE6 won't let you use transparent images without a patch.

this is your steps to succeed:
1. Go to W3C Validator to check your code from errors.
2. Download IETester to check your website with old versions of IE.
3. Download all the major browsers like annemendez mentioned - Chrome, FF, Safari, Opera.
4. Try to see if it's also working on mobiles as on computers.

- Good Luck. :)

che09

I don't think it would probably work on old ones. Like smoovo said, The new browsers working better and covering more type of codes than older versions.

I suggest though,you should test it to IE first,then FF.

springmedia

I would also get hold of Chrome aswel, I've had a few issues with using jquery in chrome. Worth just getting the main five and then going from there.

Best of luck

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
first and foremost get ie out of the way because it is the most "non compliant"

is a total joke. ie6 is a prime example.
ff3 reads very differently to ff3.6
and old versions of safari def. read different to newer versions as well.

add konquerer to that list as well.

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's quite a bit wrong. The new browsers working better and covering more type of codes than older versions. For example, IE6 won't let you use transparent images without a patch.

this is your steps to succeed:
1. Go to W3C Validator to check your code from errors.
2. Download IETester to check your website with old versions of IE.
3. Download all the major browsers like annemendez mentioned - Chrome, FF, Safari, Opera.
4. Try to see if it's also working on mobiles as on computers.

- Good Luck. :)

Exactly!

Only thing I can add, is use the IE developer tools. It has compatibility settings, but it only goes back to IE7. For earlier versions, use IETester like smoovo mentioned.