Start up website

Taggedwebdesign

Hello,

This will be my second site that I submit professionally, I'm just doing this on the side as sort of a fun project. I'm just learning html so I would like to receive some feedback before I give this to the client. It's not officially published yet I just put it on my own webspace so the client can track my progress. www.taggedwebdesign.com/portcity.html

I like the overall look, but to me the white dotted page background does not look right. I think just continuing your simple gray background would work better. In the footer, you might spread out that information or use larger fonts.

You'll probably hear this loudly from others: Page layout with tables is passe. Layouts now should be done with divs, styled with CSS.

Taggedwebdesign

Thanks for your input, I personally really like the dotted background so I'm a little disappointed to hear that you think it's unbalanced. I would like to have some sort of subtle background and I think grey might be too bland. Also the page isn't really a table layout, it just cuts the page horizontally. Is that really all that bad? I'm an engineer by trade so I usually see things as if it works efficiently and is transparent then apply it. Your help is very much appreciated as I am new to the game.

ccowan

Tables are not as bad as everyone seems to make them out to be. It is true that tables take longer to load than DIV's but in all actuality it is not that big of a difference. Computers are not getting slower so considering it is already not that bad, what does it really matter?

Just my opinion. Oh and the other argument is the CSS aspect which table sites can still be done in CSS.

anna

Tables are not as bad as everyone seems to make them out to be. It is true that tables take longer to load than DIV's but in all actuality it is not that big of a difference. Computers are not getting slower so considering it is already not that bad, what does it really matter?

Just my opinion. Oh and the other argument is the CSS aspect which table sites can still be done in CSS.

I disagree. This is why.

ccowan

Those are the same things I have read over and over but what is being said can be done with DIVs can be done with tables just the same. The only difference I see is the loading issue, but the times are very small differences really.

Other than that, I can program a site very easily with tables and every thing will stay consistent and look the same on every page. I can program tables to use CSS so so everything is designed with one code just the same. All my table designed sites look the same on all browsers, phones, etc....

I truly feel the underlying truth behind this is just that the problem is not so much the tables but the people using them incorrectly. That being said, there are just as many sites being built with DIVs that don't work the way they should either. The argument here from people that prefer DIVs would be that whoever made that site just needs to learn how to actually use DIVs correctly. I feel the same argument should be made for tables because all in all they are not just simply BAD. A whole site can be programmed with tables and cause zero known problems other than a slightly slower loading time which is such a small amount slower that it really doesn't matter all that much.

anna

Those are the same things I have read over and over but what is being said can be done with DIVs can be done with tables just the same. The only difference I see is the loading issue, but the times are very small differences really.

Other than that, I can program a site very easily with tables and every thing will stay consistent and look the same on every page. I can program tables to use CSS so so everything is designed with one code just the same. All my table designed sites look the same on all browsers, phones, etc....

I truly feel the underlying truth behind this is just that the problem is not so much the tables but the people using them incorrectly. That being said, there are just as many sites being built with DIVs that don't work the way they should either. The argument here from people that prefer DIVs would be that whoever made that site just needs to learn how to actually use DIVs correctly. I feel the same argument should be made for tables because all in all they are not just simply BAD. A whole site can be programmed with tables and cause zero known problems other than a slightly slower loading time which is such a small amount slower that it really doesn't matter all that much.

I see and respect your point, but still disagree. We, as designers, developers, etc. need to push modern standards. Tables for layout ARE NOT modern standard.

reverseengineer

I like the logo plus everything looks clean. The bottom half def. needs some vibrant pictures or something to make it stand out. Good job though!

Taggedwebdesign

Thank you for all your feedback, I only designed the website with a table to divide the page horizontally into 3 sections, and the rest of the layout was done with divs. Like I said earlier I am new to this so I implement new design methods as I learn them.

notarypublic

Thank you for all your feedback, I only designed the website with a table to divide the page horizontally into 3 sections, and the rest of the layout was done with divs. Like I said earlier I am new to this so I implement new design methods as I learn them.
When I first started with web design, I was teaching informal education seminars to students and was instructing them to use tables for layout. At the time, I didn't know better - and to beginning designers, tables make perfect sense because there is a 'physical' structure that you can visualize. All this to say, I don't fault beginners for using tables. I just try to instruct them that there is a better way.

I'll give you a crash course in search engine optimization, though. Doing these things will help search engines find your site easier, and help your clients get more web traffic (which is the point of having a website in the first place, isn't it?)

• Reduce bandwidth requirements
    First, let's reduce bandwidth requirements. Here is a speed test for your Residential page. First, you can see how using a .bmp file for your logo makes it "weigh" as much as all your other images except the ones in the slide show, combined. PNG, GIF, and jpeg are your best friends for hosting images online, there are almost no reasons to ever use bmp.

Next, though, is looking at how many images you're using: Using images for navigation, headings, and other pieces of information may not take up very much space, but when someone is viewing their website, they have to send requests to the server 18 different times. Things like that will add up - use web friendly fonts if you can. Google web fonts are a nice alternative if the default web-friendly fonts seem to be getting stale. There are other reasons to use text instead of images, down below.

Also, make a favicon for your site. When google and other search engines are looking for it, if they don't find one then the server will direct them to a 404 page. This increases load times slightly, but also increases the cost of bandwidth to host your site.​
  • Use SEO friendly terms
    There are a variety of ways that search engines like google will use to look at a site, to determine how relevant it is to a term someone may be searching for. The general process is this: Google will search for relevant meta information, relevant heading information, relevant text, load time. Google wants to give you the quickest, most accurate, most popular website based on what you are searching for.

By using images instead of <h1> tags, search engine's aren't able to see headings on your website.. so they have less of an idea of what your website is talking about. By not creating alt text for the images that you do have, they're not able to guess what your images are about, either. And by having an image for your phone number, they can't read what your business's phone number is, either.

This doesn't relate to the other two topics, but it takes forever to edit images - let's say the client wants a different font. Now you're stuck editing and uploading up to 10 images every time he asks you to change it. Ouch!​

All of those things aside. The design is very well put together, good choice on colors and I think overall it just feels very appealing. The background seems so strong because you don't really see white anywhere else on the page, so I think it's pulling the viewer's eyes away from the rest of your content. I think you'll find that if you don't have a page background pattern and just kept it the same color as the rest of the page, that it wouldn't look bad at all.

Last edited:

Taggedwebdesign

All this information is very helpful. I do like learning subjects on my own but there is definitely something to be said for group discussions, it would have taken me much longer to derive this information on my own or find it through other sources. Thank you for taking the time to reply.