Some feedback on my first website

agf2413

I've tried to learn HTML and CSS for some time now and has made ​​a page I would appreciate some feedback on.

The site is just "for fun" and I have no real store. ;)
I know it is not perfect but I like some criticism on it so I can improve it and learn some.

Until now I know some HTML, CSS and a bit of PHP.
I am learning MYSQL but did not reach that far.

Personally, I do not really like the logo but I do not quite know what to change.

The side is made for Firefox only, I know that it is stupid, but I need to start a place...
http://alexercool.dk/alex

ps. The page is in Danish, but you do not really need to read it.

leroy30

Hi Alex,

Firstly, welcome to these forums!

Secondly; You might find you get a better response on your feedback request if you first take a little of your time to give feedback on other peoples work. Many people who have been in this community will tend to ignore people asking for feedback who have only made one post!

That being said.. I think you could benefit from some design practise :)

The structure of your code itself is not too bad for some first efforts.

Have a look at creattica.com for some really inspiring designs and you'll get an idea of current design trends.

I won't go through it too much besides the above but a couple areas you could easily improve on your site:

1) Make the light side of the border on the menu buttons top-left rather than bottom-right. That way the light source will be from above and the buttons will stand out rather than sink in. Sunken in buttons are standard for a 'pressed' state but not an un-pressed state. Visually it just looks wrong.

Try and make your background tileable. Maybe make it less strong as well so the pattern is faint and covers the whole screen. Use a small tilable image iif you can rather than a large image that will take lots of download time.

Change your font type to something nicer like arial or tahoma.

Your logo is ok but the quality of the image is not. What did you design it in? I would suggest Googling free vector programs.

Well, have fun and goo luck! Keep us posted with updates and please try to contribute to the community we've built here!

Regards,
Le-roy

krymson

To put it gently... this is okay for a freshman in high school and this is their first web design project of the school year.

Other than that if you're trying to be a web designer practice and study... A LOT

If not... I suggest you hire a web designer... I'm not going to be a complete jerk and critique it anymore but it looks as though you need more practice. Go look at other websites, take a look at their design... their layout... the only thing positive I can say is you're color scheme is decent with the exception of the logo... just get some practice.

agf2413

Many thanks for your feedback, though I'm new here!

#leroy30
I've now changed the font and menu buttons.
I try to see what I can find out about the background, but will take some time :)

I made the logo in GIMP but yeah you have a good point there. I tryed to make the logo with a program called Inkscape now. (a vector program) It made the quality mutch better.

#krymson
auch.
First and foremost, I could not stop laughing over:
I suggest you hire a web designer.
Must be the best diss in web development :D

But with thad said yeah I need a LOT of practice.
I will try to look at creattica.com as leroy30 said.

Just gonna say that I only make websites for fun, and can only do what I have learned by my self on the internet. i do not have any subjects with webdesign or somthing.

But even though I am missing a lot it would be incredibly helpful if you could select one of the worst things on the page (in your opinion) and say what should be changed as leroy30 has done. That way I can actually improwe something on it :)

But offcous all in all I need practice :eek:

rosiebrown0

Yes exactly practice makes man perfect..you need to do lot of practice before designing a professional website..but as a beginner your website is not so bad..
I will suggest you take some practical training under some experienced web designer and make some live project which will give you confidence.

krymson

The moral of my post is practice... the "then I suggest you hire a web designer" thing, you would be surprised at how many I've seen small business owners try to create their own site with no intentions of being a web designer... That's the only reason I said that, wasn't meant to be a dis... I apologize it was unprofessional of me.

You're off to a good start I just wanted to say that from your stand point its close to a finished product but from mine and other more experienced people on the forum, you have a ways to go but we're here to help you out along the way. Good job and keep at it. I do apologize if I offended you in any way.

Last edited:

keens

Alex, your design in my opinion, is too complicated. For you to improve your current design you need to make it simple. By that I mean, to remove elements that are unnecessary or elements that have no meaning.

For example:
1. the background - what is it for? If it's only to add spice to your web page. I recommend you remove it.
2. borders in the menu - remove it.
3. background in the nav section - remove it
4. border in the sidebar - remove it

You can either follow what I mentioned above, or try out other style combinations. However it would be much easier for you to visualize the result if you start with something clean.

Remember, you cannot put everything in one design.

Also, you should consider a good alignment between elements. I notice that your text title and content are not aligned.

BTW, there are three reasons why I suggested the removal of the border and stuff.
1. It does not look smooth and it looks hard in the eye. If you get what I mean...
2. I want you to keep it simple
3. When you add a graphic, be concerned of why you are implementing it in the design. Does it help you emphasize something? If it does nothing, think twice before you add it.

I hope you learned something from this.

Cheers!