site search engine for images

totheletter

How you doing everyone. I need some help creating a search engine for my site specifically for images. Heres the function.

User types in word: Example
search engine script processes "example" and pops up a new window (maybe a javascript kind of deal) listing images that correspond to those letters. So for this example, there would be seven images that would pop up, and each image i would have assigned by letters such as the e, x, a, etc.

Furthermore, i want the user to have the ability to click the image, say for "E", and pick from a library of images that correspond with "E", and then continue on to the next letter and so on.

If anyone has an idea of what I'm talking about. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

jnjc

I would use a DB to achieve this. Have a table in the DB with your image description, keywords etc. The table should also contain the path to the image. When the user does a search, do a query on the DB and return images that match...

HTH,
JC

jnjc

Most of this sort of thing is done using mySQL and PHP. Check that you hosting supports it, but I'd be surprised if it didn't.

Before you start coding spend a bit of time seeing if there is something out there that already does this. With a bit of research you might find that there is a free/cheap package available to do this. If there is then it'll save you having to re-invent the wheel....

I did a quick search on "free php mysql image website" and one of the first sites I came up with was this:

http://www.encaps.net/software/encapsgallery/

Look at the online demo's section, it does a lot of what you are talking about (and probably more). You might be better installing this and then skinning it to look the way you want.

NB. I don't know anything about this particular package, it could be terrible, it was just the first one that I found when I did a search...

HTH,
JC

jnjc

That application is pretty specific, open source etc. tends to be more generic. You will probably need to build something yourself.

totheletter

yes it is very specific but even just a general script is helpful for me cause as of now i have no clue where to begin and need it asap.

jnjc

I don't know what level you expertise is, but if you are a beginner then you have a big learning curve ahead of you to attempt something like this. It may look simple but the background stuff required for a site like this is reasonable complex.

If you need this quickly then I think you are going to need someone to do it for you.

totheletter

See that sounds good but who could I go talk with that will set up the database for me to where i can just plug in the images.

jnjc

There is a lot more to this than just plugging in the images. You will need to be able to:

1) Upload images and add/modify keywords etc.
2) Design and code the page with things like:
a) Introduction
b) Samples etc.
c) Code the actual creation and modification of the word wth images
d) Shopping cart
e) Credit Card transaction

To do this properly is a non trivial task, in my mind you are talking about creating a custom web application, not just a quick DB insertion routine. You could probably get someone to help you with some sections but that depends on how much of the above you can do yourself....

totheletter

yes the actual site design including shopping card, layout, thats all taken care of. My only hold up is the word search itself.