Should clients control their own cms sites?

misstheresa2009

Hello everyone!

I'd like to ask all of you for some advice for cms websites and clients. When I create a cms website for a client, should I keep control of their site, meaning should I keep it on my server and grant them access? Or should I turn over the entire site to them, installing the cms on their server and let them make their own updates?

Does anyone have an opinion about this? I'm not sure what I should do.

Thanks! :)

chrishirst

Staff member
What's wrong with letting the clients choose for themselves? And they have paid you for the job.

Is the CMS a bespoke system that you have created specially or did you simply create a template for one of the several freely available systems?

Roddy

I would have thought the whole point in using a CMS is so that the client can update it themselves.

Otherwise, you could code it far more efficiently yourself if you are doing the updates.

A lot of these sluggish Wordpress designs - that everybody but me seems to like - use huge amounts of code to produce very little content.

misstheresa2009

I would have thought the whole point in using a CMS is so that the client can update it themselves.

Otherwise, you could code it far more efficiently yourself if you are doing the updates.

A lot of these sluggish Wordpress designs - that everybody but me seems to like - use huge amounts of code to produce very little content.
I want to thank you both for your input. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to me. My question may have sounded a little trivial but I really needed to make a decision on what to advertise for my service. I'm trying to get clients to make the switch to cms and I want to be able to give them some reasonable options.

AsheSkyler

I think it depends on both where their current site is hosted (if they have one) and if you created the CMS. If it's yours, help them migrate to your server. If it's a generic CMS, let 'em pick who their server host is.

You're not alone. I despise WordPress. But, like Facebook and Twitter, it's not going away anytime soon.