Search engine ranking changes when signed in to Google

Webster

Hi folks, discovered a strange thing today, when I'm signed in to Google search my website is shown at number 2 ranking in the search results for its main keywords but when I sign out and check it anonomously it changes to about number 40 down the list, anyone know why this is so? :confused:

rwebber77

What you are seeing is what Google calls a "behavioral search". Just by having a Google account you are providing Google with your i.p. and search history. What this means is, you are going to see your site completely differently than someone not associated with your Google account, or in your case when you are signed out of their service.

wishbone

With Google giving more personalized results since probably on Google Caffeine update, your behavior and history of searching been recorded so all your future searching will based on this data when you are logged in.

jlennon

Does that mean that the "real" ranking of your site is when you are logged out of your google account, right? It is a typical daily routine for me to check a certain keyword, but I sometimes forgot to log out first in google so the results are really favorable :p

rwebber77

Does that mean that the "real" ranking of your site is when you are logged out of your google account, right? It is a typical daily routine for me to check a certain keyword, but I sometimes forgot to log out first in google so the results are really favorable :p

You are correct, when you are signed in you see the results based on your i.p. and search history as Google sees it. Either log out or check it from somewhere else for accurate results.

orangecopper

yes this is a regular scenario that i have observed too. basically even though it makes you happy for a minute, its pulling the results from the google web history feature.

cheers
Joshu

Almo99

Hi folks, discovered a strange thing today, when I'm signed in to Google search my website is shown at number 2 ranking in the search results for its main keywords but when I sign out and check it anonomously it changes to about number 40 down the list, anyone know why this is so? :confused:

A friend of mine told me that Google has been messing with their ranking algorithm in the last few days. Your ranking may adjust to something closer to what you're used to seeing after a few weeks. Whenever Google makes adjustments, rankings go wonky. Nothing much you can do.