Review my First Website build around CSS

jmc1987

Hello Everyone! First I've I've been looking for a good forum to get and give help on based on web design and this one looks like it has some potential.

Anyways I used to build sites with layout tables for positioning and then I realize how bad it was and I learned now days you only that you only build structure with html and presentation with css. So I am learning css and I think I am going to push to learn how to code websites with perl since I already know the basics. But I would like a base review off the home page on my current site I'm created and tell me what I can do to make it better.

http://daguild.dyndns.org

Also I would like to know how I could make the menu background feel the space with the footer.

Thanks for all the help ;)

Last edited:

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still "looks" like a table based design.
Look around at different sites and get a feel for whats current.
Your nav should be a ul not ol, and you should style it with css rather than a bg image.
You should also have some form of UI interaction, rollovers, hovers etc...
Use jpg or png rather than gif for images.
No need for validation in your menu.
Your target wont care for that.
Your typography needs some work.
Line height and some padding would be a good start...

Faux columns + sticky footers - google that shit...

jmc1987

Still "looks" like a table based design.
Look around at different sites and get a feel for whats current.
Your nav should be a ul not ol, and you should style it with css rather than a bg image.
You should also have some form of UI interaction, rollovers, hovers etc...
Use jpg or png rather than gif for images.
No need for validation in your menu.
Your target wont care for that.
Your typography needs some work.
Line height and some padding would be a good start...

Faux columns + sticky footers - google that shit...

Year your right about the validator I just put it there for something to have and the design was mostly made in photoshop so I just took out pieces and put it togeather practicing with css. Yea I still need alot of work in getting the feel of everything. I must say tables are sure easier to work with till you want to modify something down the road lol. But I am going to rebuild it all and try to make it look nicer. Thanks for the pst.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Once you shift off tables you actually realise how impractical and unworkable they are. tables most certainly are not easier, I can tell you that much...

WebSquad

If you're serious about this, from the look of the website it will need a certain amount of liquidity when in reference to content. So I would shift gears towards a custom css based website design inside wordpress.