RegEx custom file signatures for searching on a hard drive

drding

Hi I'm looking to add custom file extensions using Active@ File Recovery and editing their Signature_template file using RegEx. I have no idea how to do this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The file types I'm looking to add are .mts, .txt, .psd, .ttf, .otf and Adobe Premiere project files with extensions like .prproj, .plb, .ppj, and .prel

Here's the Signature_Template file that comes with File Recovery: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZeS2JhxZMfo33AwD2ZHSmrlfqPwfJmHkZjdyP1nsyJA/edit?usp=sharing

There's a few searches already there but I can't make heads or tails of it or figure out just how to go about looking up the files I mentioned above.

If anyone can help walk me through adding new searches to the file I linked above or know a place I could ask about this that would be awesome. Right now I do have this question up on StackOverflow, but am looking for any other suggestions on sites like that to post on.

Thanks!

If you need any additional info, just let me know. Thanks!

drding

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion.
Yeah have a valid version, and sent in two separate tech support emails. Finally ended up calling them which was helpful. They couldn't really help with the adding custom signatures part but they did explain a bit more about the program itself to help my friend and I salvage files from a deleted drive partition.

They did however mention taking a look at different file types in a hex editor to start figuring out how each file is identified. So that's a start :D.

chrishirst

Staff member
That's always good fun, ... Especially when you find out that some file types have the "header" in the last segment rather than the first, .avi being the most notable of those.