Refresh page once on load

flox74

I have a couple of pages full of images which y change every 1 or 2 days. I needd some solution so that visitors dont have to reload the page manually.

I´ve heared something about not caching the pages but due to the amount of images, not caching the page doesn´t seems the best solution.

Thanks.

Arkette

if you are uploading new images using the same file names as the previous images then you are going to have a problem even if you issue a no-cache directive. Upload the page and the new images using new names for the images and there wont be any problem.

flox74

Its the same page with new images (i´m not replacing images but adding new ones). Once I upload the page I need to refresh it manually in my browser. Using a no-cache directive is the solution? Isn´t that much slower for the page to load?

Thanks.

Arkette

Using a no-cache directive means that each time a user accesses your pagew they will download the whole page from your server rather than get it from their page cache.

flox74

And whats the way for the user to check if the page has changed and if it has the download it from the server, if not load the page from the cache?
Is there something I need to put in my pages?

Thanks a lot!

Arkette

flox74 said:
And whats the way for the user to check if the page has changed and if it has the download it from the server, if not load the page from the cache?
Is there something I need to put in my pages?

Thanks a lot!
That kind of functionality is dependant on the settings of the users browser. There is no page directive that you can add that forces that kind of behaviour, although it is the defualt setting of most commonly used browsers. The difficulty comes with embedded images, in that many browsers only check the last modified date of the page and not all the files embedded within the page, therefore it is often a good idea when uploading new embedded images or include files to resave and then re-upload the page as well.