Redirecting pages to new domain

undoIT

I have split off an existing section of site and decided to create a new website that expands on that section. I want to move the old section to the new website.

For SEO purposes, is it better to leave the old section on the first site and then add links to the corresponding pages that point to the new site with a notification that the pages have moved? Or, is it better to do a 301 redirect to the corresponding pages? Would there be any negative consequences for redirecting from one domain to another domain?

walkingbird

That is a tough one because Google doesn't like redirects. I would put a notification that the information has been moved that way you can pass some link juice to your new site and don't get the negativity of the 301 redirect.

undoIT

I thought that 301 redirects were "friendly" meaning that they pass pagerank etc. But perhaps that is just when using internal 301 redirects.

walkingbird

That is why i mentioned the links because i am not sure of the effect of the 301 with out side sites. 301s will work internally. I usually play it better safe than sorry. Thats why i would go with the links. IF you do go with the 301 redirect let me know how it works

klper

I believe that it eill be nothing bad with redirect for SE. But better redirect new web site to the old one and not vice versa IMO