Real Estate website review.

Wingnut

Hey i have been doing so much in pure flash that when i sat down to do a full website of html and flash it just seemed so plain to me. This website is just the skeleton and i need the whole white portion to drop in the programming in coldfusion so im just looking for graphics input, color, layout and flow. im thinking i need to dress up the nav bar, the client likes simple stuff but it just looks so plain. maybe put a glow on the letters? give me some feed back. Thanks

http://www.www.woodlandremax.com

StephanieCordray

Unless you have plans to add more under the animation on the main page, I'd tighten it up a little... there's no reason for all the dead space underneath, plus the extra scrolling leads people to believe there's more to the page.

There are two other issues in my mind, considering the site isn't finished. One is there's no way to get back to the main page from the subpages. Also, I'm not sure how useful a contact page would be considering the contact info shows on every page of the site sans email address and I think that would be easy to fix.

Other than those usability issues, I think the site looks very nice.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
i am guessing the main page is merely a splash page, which would explain why you can't get back to it. however, that's a cool little showcase of properties on the splash page and it would be shame to not be able to get back to at least the flash animation somewhere on the site.

the only thing that really bugs me is the pixel font used for the logo. at that text size you can tell it's a pixel font and in my view takes away from the sites overall clean look. i don't know if some anti aliasing might help moothen the edges a bit, but it might be worth a shot. personally, i would try to find a a nice vector font to use.

how you liking cold fusion? you are the only person that i have heard of using it. my old employer used it. it was fairly simply code, but it seemed rather buggy to me.

Wingnut

your so right on with the font issue on the top flash. i did the makeup the other afternoon and noticed it after you said it. ill just run it through illistrator and smooth it into a vector. any recomendations when i do fonts in photoshop like that? i have worked as a 3d artist for the last few years and finallt jumped into trying webdesign lately so the only stuff i have done in photoshop over the last few years is texture maps and some grapghics. And thanks for the input on the nav issue, i had forgotton to link the upper logo to the index because i was playing with adding other stuff up there. it just seemed so plain to me but in the last three websites i have done thats what the client has requested. simole stuff..

i have liked cold fusion but it does seem buggy. i went back to school this year for it as the only language im really on top of is action script. i majored in mostly 3d graphicdesign and media arts and somehow managed to fit in alot of flash work.

thanks for all yours guys help, im loving doing websites. its been great so far, just hard to work with people. seems most of them want a website yet cant figure out what they want!

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks for all yours guys help, im loving doing websites. its been great so far, just hard to work with people. seems most of them want a website yet cant figure out what they want!
i hear that.

photoshop has a few options for anti aliasing and just generally smoothening out fonts, while i find these options to help, they don't solve the problem of pixel fonts at large sizes. so, i just generally try to stay away from them for large text. the idea with illistrator sounds good though... however, that's am app i have next to no experience with. just resently purchased a copy of adobe creative suite.

Wingnut

i have just started using it and it can become addictive when using the tracing abilities to create logos and graphics. ill look around i think i have a very very good tutorial on illistrator. would you want a copy if i find it. i looked at it for a couple hours but have not had time lately. i could mail one out just let me know. it would help your jump into it.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
i appreciate the offer. but no there is no need of going threw all that trouble of mailing it to germany. thank you though. :)