Rate my website

mjclark91

Hey all

Just finished my first draft of a website I'm making for uni. It's a small thing (7 pages) - http://mjclark.x10.mx/

I'm looking for people to look at the site and give me feedback along with things I can do to improve it.

If there are any web designers/code people out there if you could take a quick peek through the code and tell me if you notice anything out of place that'd be brill.

Thanks peeps

Mike

EDIT: I'm a bit amateur at the moment but I'm looking to get better. Any constructive feedback is VERY appreciated.

Last edited:

ImKevin

Your banners for all your pages - except your index page - needs a lot of work, looks empty to me. Only found 1 error in validation. I like the overall design though, nice job.

mjclark91

Your banners for all your pages - except your index page - needs a lot of work, looks empty to me. Only found 1 error in validation. I like the overall design though, nice job.

Thanks for this. I'm not to good at graphics yet but I'll see what I can do and post again when I've finished.

mjclark91

I've gone and changed the banners. I think it's a LITTLE better than it was, but It's not amazing. I've also changed the text styles because I thought they clashed a little. Is there anything else I can be doing to re-jig the site?

Edit: Also, how do you tell the validator to ignore errors in JavaScript? The JavaScript for the picture sideshow isn't mine but it says explicitly not to correct the error.

Last edited:

d a v e

optimise your images!

you say you have alt tags (you mean attributes) but if you turn off images for example on the front page you see very little ;) also using the default blue as a link colour against black for the accessibility link isn't very accessible to anyone.

you should really only have one h1 per page

your logo is cut off on the left by a pixel or two making the rounded edge look flat. the whole top part is too big - logo could be half that size.

on the whole the site is presentable enough - although a better colour for links could be used (a bluish purple maybe??)

that word spacing looks nasty - it makes it harder to read because you have rivers of white (albeit a bit meandering) flowing through your text.

where does the word mentalist come from? Webster's says it was first used in 1909 but i can't find it in British English dictionaries so i assume it's American? it sounds like a word that a 7 year old would come up with as a logical - but incorrect - ending for the the word mental :)

mjclark91

optimise your images!

you say you have alt tags (you mean attributes) but if you turn off images for example on the front page you see very little ;) also using the default blue as a link colour against black for the accessibility link isn't very accessible to anyone.

your logo is cut off on the left by a pixel or two making the rounded edge look flat. the whole top part is too big - logo could be half that size.

on the whole the site is presentable enough - although a better colour for links could be used (a bluish purple maybe??)

that word spacing looks nasty - it makes it harder to read because you have rivers of white (albeit a bit meandering) flowing through your text.

where does the word mentalist come from? Webster's says it was first used in 1909 but i can't find it in British English dictionaries so i assume it's American? it sounds like a word that a 7 year old would come up with as a logical - but incorrect - ending for the the word mental :)

Haha. I really appreciate this. I'll get to work on those points straight away.

mjclark91

optimise your images!

I've made all the changes you've suggested (and learned a bit in the process) :cool:

Is there anything else I can do to make the site better? I'm not too sure about the buttons at the bottom of the index page what do you guys think?

http://mjclark.x10.mx/

Last edited: