Question for the experts out there!

vinco83

Hopefully someone can give me some ideas :)

I've been tasked with creating a website for the company I work for, and i'm kinda stuck.

I'm at the point in the project where i'm coming up with layout ideas and ready to start creating mockups, etc. I'm not a designer by nature (i'm mainly a developer), and have limited experience in this aspect.

My companies logo is very dated, and inherently "hoaky" and very 90's web looking. I don't have any leeway in redesigning it...and I have some ideas for site layout and colors, but i'm not sure what to do with this logo (how to incorporate it, etc).

I'm wanting a very modern, sleek, elegant but FUN design for the site.

I'm not asking for anyone to design the site for me, but just give me some ideas on how to incorporate this logo while still being able to create the site I want!

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated!

http://img233.imageshack.us/i/sbvlogowhite.png/

wachtn

Can you adapt it at all? It might look better on a webpage as a long banner with it's text on 1 line.

You could make a few new logos and use them when you present your design to the boss. Make your new site and make mirror pages each displaying a different logo. If your work is good, there is a chance that after seeing your new design your boss might like your logo and choose to use it.

Give him some options. According to Dilbert, bosses love to make decisions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbjlGKLaMFo

vinco83

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately, I have no way of using or modifying the original logo :/ I even created one, threw it up on a mock website today and my boss told me to use the original since that's their "brand" logo. Not cool.

It's in definite need of a revamp, me thinks lol

I have a feeling the site I design is in no way going to look the way i'd like for it to, and it's going to end up looking like something straight from 1996 lol

*sighhhh*

WDigital

Make minor modifications

Just modernise the logo by adapting it very very slightly. Your boss obviously does not want to change it completely, this is obvious as it will be on all of the branding, marketing and alike. However he may accept you bringing it up to date, alter the font style, remove stroke? Not really a good design for a logo that looks like it’s a bread making company (old mill style). There will be things you can get away with and in time, keep making modifications and it will surly change and evolve. Take Google for example, this evolved but was always just minor changed each year. Your right it needs changing but subtle changes are key in your situation.

Hope this helps.

Daniel Brown
Wiltshire Digital