Portfolio design tips?

DaBananaboat

Hey,

I'm trying to design a portfolio for my website but I'm probably the worst webdesigner ever(hence I'm a developer).

I've been looking on other websites like 1stwebdesigner and many others.
Inspiration comes in and fades when I open Photoshop..

Do you guys have any tips on how to make a nice looking, easy to make portfolio design? Preffered without Photoshop(willing to make small things in it, but not the entire layout).

-DaBananaboat

notarypublic

I just finished revamping mine (it's the link in my signature). It took something like a month of tossing around ideas before something clicked enough that I was able to produce a coherent site design from it.

The questions you need to answer are the following:
Who is your audience? Small businesses, Mid sized businesses, artists, corporations? I'm focusing mainly on smaller, more personal sites and businesses, so my site has a lot more personality than a typical web design business site might have.

What are you selling? If your emphasis is on web development over design, i.e. internet applications, find a way to state those strengths. Might be a bit of a challenge, but can you incorporate functionality to your site that a typical web/graphic designer might not be capable of? You'll definitely be showing off any projects you've worked on.

Do you want to play it safe?The answer is almost always yes. Conservative colors over gradients, easy to read fonts over "funky" ones, standard layouts over experimental ideas. Playing it safe may be boring at times, but trying something that doesn't work will be much more likely to scare away customers.

Bookmark this page. You see these layouts everywhere for a reason, they look damn fantastic.

(Also, it goes without saying that it's a good idea to come back to us for feedback on whatever design you make :) We're here to help!)

Best of Luck