Please tell me your thoughts of this design.

benjamin.morgan

I want honest opinions and tell me what to fix please. NOT IT SUCKS.
tempij.png

Last edited:

DOAWebDesigns

Too many Colors

I want honest opinions and tell me what to fix please. NOT IT SUCKS.
tempij.png

I'm new to contributing to this forum but I will give you some of my input and what I would change.

1. There's too many colors going on that makes the look inconsistent.

2. I would put the menu below the black border, just below the guy.

3. Then maybe switch places with the logo and the security guy. Also maybe change the Ensight Security Solutions text to match the color of the logo and float it to the right of the logo.

I hope that helps.

iniedrauer

Well there's a lot to address... but probably most importantly...

Get rid of that royal blue background. Its raunchy, heavy and just clashes in the most brutal way with the black/white theme. Try a vertical gradient of a very light gray to white (or vice versa).

The title with the underlines has to go. You already have the name in the logo. If you insist on having a title, make it a very small, thin font (think a futura variant) with no underline.

Almost universally I favor grays instead of black. Try lightening your colors. Go for the clean look, not the heavy.

Try that for starters and let's see where you're at.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
First thing that sprung to mind is your type.
I guess you want to get the design sorted first but its the biggest mistake I see in new guys is a lack of solid ground work on making the type work...

Id remove the rounded corner and re-evaluate the header layout and spacing.
Id make the menu fullwidth of the wrapper and put the sub on the left.
Remove the underline in the nav. Not needed.

Padding, lineheight, typography. Learn it, love it.

graphic.flaw

I'm still a novice myself, but to me this feels like its using frames, which in my opinion, give the site a dated feel. I would try to smooth it out a little bit, make things flow a little more evenly. The color change was a big help, still a ways to go though.

Andrew

GraphicFlaw Digital Design
http://graphicflaw.x10.mx/

benjamin.morgan

Id remove the rounded corner and re-evaluate the header layout and spacing.
Id make the menu fullwidth of the wrapper and put the sub on the left.

What do you think needs done on the spacing? Also put sub on left? is that sidebar? also will the menu look right full width with only 4 items? Should it be above the border or below it? also can you suggest some type faces? Sorry I am not super great at all of this design work yet. Practicing it makes it better though :) Thanks for all of your help

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
a centred nav within a full width div would look tidy and not out of place,
however if all li's were 25% it would look pretty sparse and a bit odd.
with a full width nav, you wont need a border so that wont even matter.

sub = sidebar yes.

the header spacing is logo far left, image far right with a lot of space in between.
if you have an alt logo which works well on horiz spacing then i'd use that. just a bit more balance, and not on the extremes...

san-serif fonts i think would work best. arial is a good start, albeit a bit boring.

benjamin.morgan

I don't have an alternate logo. Where would the navigation go? below the logo or to the right floating in the center?

projectstage2navmove.png

Last edited:

benjamin.morgan

What are some things i could add in the sidebar or header to get rid of some of that whitespace? The side navigation is only on one page.

ancom

I would strongly suggest you to google "css gallery" and see how others work. Then try to "copy" someone just for practice. Then make your own design, and start with drawing it, not coding it.

benjamin.morgan

I have looked at other websites. That is how the client wants it but he wants the navigation to fit in with the right colors and in the right spot. What colors should I use and where should I put it?

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Option 3 by a mile.
There is an obvious balance in that one which is missing in the first 2 opt...

benjamin.morgan

Thank You. Is there anything else I can improve on? I ended up going with a Verdana font. Wish I could find a lighter gradient so the gray would blend into white.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can use css gradients if you want it to flow into white, or make your own in photoshop.