Please review my scuba diving site

scubish

Hi,

I have launched a website around scuba diving and would like to get your feedback on it. I am quite proud so far, but I also know that there is a lot of things that can be improved.

http://www.scubish.com

What do you like? What would you improve?
Is is easy for you to use the site?

The site has multiple major components:
- A large database of scuba diving destinations which are grouped hierachycally (e.g. Africa - Egypt - Hurghada). The idea is that scuba divers can plan their vacations and find a nice dive shop.

- A discussion forum about the various destinations. This can either be accessed from http://forum.scubish.com or via the Country pages.

- Some scuba diving specific features (you need to register to try these). An online log book to log your dives (it is recommened to use a dive logby scuba instructors), a buddyfinder so you don't

have to dive alone (actually in scuba diving it is highly recommened to always dive with another person for safety reasons), some supporting functions like your own profile and some trip

information.
While these features already work, they will be more useful once there are enough users actually using them. The idea is to integrate this information with the destinations later (e.g. to see who

was diving in Hurghada and at what dive spots)

- Some infomatiuon about scuba diving. The site has a link database with scuba diving websites, some news from scuba diving RSS feeds, a dive reference book and a fun scuba quiz game.

- Please make sure to try the search and let me know what you think about it. It combines information from the website, the forum and from sites in the link databse. Is that easy to understand or

a stupid idea?

The site is not completly finished (at least there is a long list of things I want to implement over the next few months) and I know that there are some validation issues (perhaps I have changed

the design already to often...), but in general is site is up and running and I would really like to get your feedback on it.

If you are a scuba diver yourself and have ideas on what's missing in terms of scuba specific features please let me know.

Thank You,
Matthias

bcackerman

Hm nice job overall. The only thing I could see to change would be to enclose the "Great divespots around the world" so it doesn't look like an ad. Personally I'd take off the ad in the middle of the header as well, its kinda...intrusive i guess.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I think it looks really good, especially the header area and the fish image.
The thing I would change is the background color on the google adsense ads, I would change it to a light grey so that it blends with the rest of the page.

scubish

Thank you.

I changed the background for the dive sites.

Regarding the ads I have to see what to do. Obviously there is a slipepry slope between having an ad farm and not earning any affiliate commissions.

Based on feedback from friends, visitors and some other boards where I have asked for a review, I have decided to reduce advertising a little bit (no more top banner and no amazon links on the side bar) Since I currently make between $3 and $5 per day, this is not really a big sacrifice and it might help to build a user base faster.

I am really unhappy with the home page design, I think the inner pages are ok (also I have some improvement ideas for them), but the homepage looks to boring/plain.

Always stuff to do...

Matthias

ian

Administrator
Staff member
The background on the adsense ads was not changed. I also dont think the adsense ads are too obtrusive, you could probably ad another ad spot on the top right hand of the forum, http://forum.scubish.com/
As the site grows, hosting costs increase, so most people understand that as a free site, you have to cover site maintenance costs.