Personal domain name

tempgong

So I am planning on building a site to host both my info, portfolio, work, blog so I can both promote myself as well as have my blog a little bit more professional.

The problem is I am really picky with names. Also, thinking that I might have this forever makes me go bananas. So should it be my real name

ie: dimitriskarles.com (thats not my name, my surname takes 8 letters so its kinda weied - also I am not english so it will sound weird for the rest of the world)

I though of having dkarl.com (on my own name) but both .net and .com are taken and the only available is .info :)S - not so happy about that)

I though about 8lettersurname.com but I don't know if its the best way to promote myself.

So what are the best practices about personal sites?

bwlaren

I would go for your name or your nickname. for example my name is andreas and my nickname is andy so i would probably have choosed andreas.com, andy.com or andylastname.com or something like that.

tempgong

The problem is that my name doesn't have nicknames nor do I use one for that matter. Is a .info address that bad? The .com address is parked but I don't know the buyer and whois gets me to a company who conceals the real buyers identity to such things.:(

WebbyD

I own a info name they aren't bad and you can currently register them for .89 at godaddy. They are generally used for informative sites. Otherwise come up with a name for your work such as work created by blahblah and create your domain name around that.