Novice webmaster inheriting a website - redesign?

boboman42

Hello all,

I've recently been handed the website for my church (I work there part-time). I've educated myself a bit on basic webdesign and I'm pretty handy with GIMP, which helps a lot. I have Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004.

The issue is that the church website (www.sjbcathedral.org) was constructed using tables and tables and tables... to where any URL will read

www.sjbcathedral.org/index.asp?include=*.html

This 'include' stuff is crap, is confusing, and I have the hunch that if I spend hours trying to reform the website into something more user-friendly, I'll be wasting my time.

The previous webmaster generally didn't touch the include files except to edit text and links. Each page was constructed using a template of the main body - a template on which DW catches 17 errors before I touch it.

Can anybody point me in a general direction of where to go or what to do with this? I hear that CSS is responsible for great websites, but I don't know much about it.

Best,
Andrew

dreamcon

Greate

Hi,

Website redesign is always an tough task, as you will have to consider may aspects for web design and to make it more usability and navigation friendliness.

Last edited by a moderator: