Nightmare Weaver

devin m.

Hi Guys,

My office uses dreamweaver to manage its' websites. For some reason when I test on my pc things look fine, when I post files live they look fine on my pc. But sometimes things don't look right live on other machines.

I'm constantly clearing cache and cookies, checking the design in older versions (most of my problems are with IE), but still no luck, things always look different live on other machines.

Also, I'm running windows 7, don't know if this might have something to do with it.

Please help.

scottg

What specifically makes you think Dreamweaver is causing these issues? First, make sure your pages are using a current doctype. Most current browsers are optimized for pages using doctypes of xhtml 1.0 transitional or strict. Doctypes are usually declared in the head section at the very top of the page. Make sure to choose the proper doctype when creating new pages in Dreamweaver.

Second, ensure you are writing valid html and css. If there are errors in your code, some browsers will compensate and correct the code, while others will render the code as-is, causing the page to appear wrong.

Third. Use Firebug, an addon for firefox, to inspect the code in your browser. There are other useful firefox addons like Web Developer tools and Xhtml validator that really help in debugging browser or code issues. For IE, try MS Expression Web Super Preview to compare pages in different versions of ie

And lastly, never rely on dreamweavers preview to test your site. It never compensates for real browser view.

Hope this helps

scottg

What specifically makes you think Dreamweaver is causing these issues? First, make sure your pages are using a current doctype. Most current browsers are optimized for pages using doctypes of xhtml 1.0 transitional or strict. Doctypes are usually declared in the head section at the very top of the page. Make sure to choose the proper doctype when creating new pages in Dreamweaver.

Second, ensure you are writing valid html and css. If there are errors in your code, some browsers will compensate and correct the code, while others will render the code as-is, causing the page to appear wrong.

Third. Use Firebug, an addon for firefox, to inspect the code in your browser. There are other useful firefox addons like Web Developer tools and Xhtml validator that really help in debugging browser or code issues. For IE, try MS Expression Web Super Preview to compare pages in different versions of ie

And lastly, never rely on dreamweavers preview to test your site. It never compensates for real browser view.

Hope this helps

ddt

Yes my friend. You current code for your site is showing up fine in some browsers, not computer, but browser. Just like scottg said, you need a doctype. You can validate your code at http://validator.w3.org/

This tool is the best. Hope that helps.

P.S Dreamweaver is a very good tool. Although it is not 100% accurate with Valid Code, It is the best one that cost money. There are some good open Source editors as well, like but the validation tool is the only way to be sure you are 100% W3c Compliant.

Last edited:

bluecollar01

hi devin,

sounds like the displays for the different browsers is the problem.

not sure if you are using any css - but if you are you can specify a separate style sheet for each browser. that way all will display properly. there is a tutorial here.

hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: