New website review please

Fireproofgfx

It seems like you don't have any understanding of Graphics, Blending, flow, or colors that complement one another and that is a big part of a designing a site; it goes together like Peanut Butter and jelly. Your Contact page images should be transparent if anything and they are choppy, poor quality, the same with the Twitter images.
To really sell yourself though, you need to have enticing graphics and a better design.

Keep at it though and push yourself to learn more.

RPDesign

It seems like you don't have any understanding of Graphics, Blending, flow, or colors that complement one another and that is a big part of a designing a site; it goes together like Peanut Butter and jelly. Your Contact page images should be transparent if anything and they are choppy, poor quality, the same with the Twitter images.
To really sell yourself though, you need to have enticing graphics and a better design.

Keep at it though and push yourself to learn more.

I know, I've heard all that before but the whole point of my business is to get customers a simple site without graphics just helping them get online.
But thanks for feedback.

Fireproofgfx

not to come across mean but that sounds like a cop out more than anything. You can say you want to make "simple" sites for your customers but even the simplest of sites have graphics.

I think you don't know the first thing about graphics and that is why you want to make "simple" sites and in the long run you aren't really going to help small businesses because of your lack of understanding in graphics and designing.

You honestly just need to learn more, but don't give up, just keep at it!

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
the whole point of my business is to get customers a simple site without graphics
I still find it laughable that you are still towing this line, when in fact you have used graphics, and even more laughable that you've used graphics where you have not needed to. for instance the yellow box? whats that all about?

RPDesign

I mean without special graphics which it says on my site. That yellow box is extremely simple, so still within my aim as a designer.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
yes but the yellow box should be css. it has no need to be an image.

...and the borders on the box above and the nav, again should be css

...and your box, which i'm assuming is for a footer, should be css.

...and your contact button, can also be done with css.

Gotta agree with Phreadee here. Not to mention, if your going for a simlpe aproach, theres so much more you can do. Not to mention other things. Everything is off center, your navigation is way off to the left as is almost everything else. Also how about some nice hover links, if you want to make an image free site, theres so much more to do.... @font face, round some borders, hell add some borders. If this is the thing you want to do , I realy recomend going further into some advaced CSS techniques and color scheems.

X_Gary_X

You seem like this is something you really want to do. You just need to practice man. I've only been doing this off and on since February of this year, and I've improved a lot. Don't listen to the negative...focus on getting better and know you can do it. But your not ready to charge people yet...I learned what I know so far from pretty much one source http://www.w3schools.com

I decided to remake your site for fun. I did it only CSS and XHTML. (no adobe graphics except the logo I made). No matter what though, you will need to add images to your sites. There is a lot you can do with CSS. Like I said, I'm still new also, but the page I made shows examples like:gradiants, shadows, rounded borders, and more. It's not perfect, and if I devoted more time, it could be nice, but I just wanted you to get a general idea. Feel free to copy the source code, and css files, to pick apart if you wish or whatever.

I would seriously consider downloading something like notepad+ and just learning from scratch, and practice. It really is the best way. I did this, not only to show you, you can make websites without fancy graphic programs, but also, because it's practice for me! I learn something new every time I mess around. Plus, I don't have any clients yet lol...still trying to figure out that part.

It doesn't display right in IE9, but when I get some extra time, I'll figure that out. (has to do with the gradients interfering with the border-radius...not too sure yet). Any other browser should be fine.

http://www.rightfitcareers.org/RPD_index.htm

Again man. check out w3schools. You don't need any books...just time :)

RPDesign

Thanks for that x Gary x, I'll check out that website and may also take some ideas from your example site.
Thanks very much :)

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't listen to the negative
what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

its called constructive criticism. if he doesn't listen to it, he will not get any better... and if he desires not to take it on board then he is being stupid and digging his head in the sand.

take it from someone who has been in the industry a very long time. The best advice I have ever received has been brutally honest and sometimes very confronting. In a dog eat dog industry like this one you will not ever succeed if you do not take the bad with the good, and learn from your mistakes and errors...

X_Gary_X

Phreaddee, I completely agree with you, but constructive criticism is different then people blatantly making fun and laughing at him. I'm no calling anyone out, but go re-read some posts. This forum should be here so that people can help others improve, and that comes with pointing out peoples mistakes, but not making fun of them.

RPDesign

I agree with both of you there, of course I will listen to the constructive points people have to say, but some people join forums like this and never help, they just say how bad something is and tell you to get out.
But thanks for the feedback both of you.

d a v e

it looks bloody awful ...

and you don't seem to have listened to any of the design advice given; all the mistakes you made the first time you've simply replicated, but using elements of someone else's design in a confused mish-mash.

the only good thing i can say about this design is that the black and multicoloured picture is quite nice, but even that doesn't fit with your message of simple.

start again, but before you do have a clear idea of what your saying and marry the design to that. first though you need to visit some design and colour theory ;)

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
have to agree with dave there. its like its gone in one ear and out the other.

I'm certain that you didn't even look at the code that gary did.

you've used even more images then previously.
it if FULL of inline styles and no semantic markup anywhere to be seen.

I still cant fathom out why you aren't using css for background colours and borders. it just amazes me...

its complicated and messy and well...horrible. and what did you do to that image? it was a nice clean image on garys website, your version is full of artifacts...

RPDesign

Well, please tell me which one do you think was better, this one or my previous one, because my previous one was like the example Dave gave me and you all said it was awful?