New website question!

ivan7

I am looking to design a website where my visitors can upload audio files(.aiff, .wav) to my site for a week at a time. I have contacted a few popular web hosting sites to see if this would be possible with their services and I have had no luck so far. I just contacted a VPS hosting site in hopes this would be the type of place where I could do this with my site.

Any advice on which hosting company would be able to allow me to do this?

Am I even moving in the right direction? I am not sure if I should even be asking my hosting site about this, this could be something that has nothing to do with hosting and everything to do with how I design my site.

Any help would be appreciated. I am a novice so I don't know if I am looking in the right direction or not.

Thanks so much for the help in advance!

dzwestwindsor

Well, the only thing you should actually ask your web host about is how much space the database provides. If there are going to be .wav files uploaded every week, you might be better off with a company that provides a good amount of database space.

http://www.dreamhost.com/ has unlimited storage
so does http://www.hostgator.com/ (edit, looks like HostGator is the better choice)

Now, on your part, you have to make the application so that users can upload files. This can be done with a dynamic web language, like PHP, Ruby on Rails, Java, .NET, etc

If you aren't that thrilled with coding, you might want to try out a pre-built platform, like Drupal. It handles uploading very well, and most hosts support it.

I wouldn't recommened you getting a VPS unless you have a ginourmous app that requires lots of power (RAM, CPU). VPS is quite expensive to me...

Good luck, respond with questions if you got any :)

Last edited:

JoomlaExpert

Yeah, Host gator is a good web hosting but since your a newbie in creating website, you should also think as to what particular software will you used in creating websites, is it Joomla or wordpress. For me Joomla is great because it has many features and it will help you create professional websites as well.

ivan7

wow!!

Thanks so much for the responses and the suggestions, I am new to this side of things so all the suggestions and advice you posted will be of the utmost help!! I'll definitely be looking toward those two hosting sites you recommended. I haven't delved much into the actual development of the site yet, but once I get there I'll definitely be looking into those suggestions mentioned.

Thanks so much and I'll definitely run back this way with questions when one hits me.