New Website (Gaming)

Shadee

Hey guys, creating a website from the ground up using Wordpress as my CSM. Please let me know what you think about it! It's still in the works, I'd just like some feedback while it's still being worked on.

http://107.9.172.144/

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
your typography needs a lot of work, for instance this section I would consider laying out a bit more like the second image.

popular1.png
popular2.png

please remove the dropshadow on the search bar it does not work, also the gradients do not really work either.
and um...navigation???

Shadee

your typography needs a lot of work, for instance this section I would consider laying out a bit more like the second image.

please remove the dropshadow on the search bar it does not work, also the gradients do not really work either.
and um...navigation???

Thanks for the response. The layout is what I'm focusing on mostly right now, mostly the readability of the front page. I like a bit of what you did in the second image, I'll implement some of it. The dropshadow on the searchbar "doesn't work"? Not sure what that means. Also no navigation clearly means that I haven't created the navigation yet, but thank you (I guess?) for pointing that out.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
searchbar.png

looks ugly, doesnt work (from a design POV)

you'll be surprised how many designs i've seen with mystery or no navigation.
:)

Last edited:

webstudent123

Short Cut

I can't help but come to the conclusion that you are somewhat a beginner level designer and likely have no intention of selling your web design services. My apologies if that is an incorrect assumption.

That said, if I were you I would look at a better template to get your site off to a much better look with minimal effort-
Check out ElegantThemes.com - 40 bucks.

Example: http://www.elegantthemes.com/demo/?theme=eGamer

If you google 'wordpress templates', be careful of the free templates as they often have encrypted footer links.

Shadee

I can't help but come to the conclusion that you are somewhat a beginner level designer and likely have no intention of selling your web design services. My apologies if that is an incorrect assumption.

That said, if I were you I would look at a better template to get your site off to a much better look with minimal effort-

If you google 'wordpress templates', be careful of the free templates as they often have encrypted footer links.

No. This was literally not even remotely helpful. I only wish I had the ability to unread things.

Edit: On a sidenote, whats the punishment for advertising on forums like this? Seems kinda shady.

Last edited:

Shadee

searchbar.png

looks ugly, doesnt work (from a design POV)

you'll be surprised how many designs i've seen with mystery or no navigation.
:)

Thanks again for the helpful post :D I had no idea the green glow effect looked like that, what browser were you viewing it in? In chrome it looks completely different. I agree that I probably would be surprised at how many designs you've seen with no navigation. I feel like anyone who has visited a website and wanted to start design would include navigation of some sort on their site XD

Shadee

If there was any justice....

To be hunted down and have their gonads removed with a rusty knife blade. :eek:

Haha if only. Not sure how well modded these forums are but I'm sure someone will be along soon to clean up that post. I'd hate for other users to think that it was some sort of actual good advice or something.

webstudent123

Highly Debatable

Haha if only. Not sure how well modded these forums are but I'm sure someone will be along soon to clean up that post. I'd hate for other users to think that it was some sort of actual good advice or something.

The theme I showed you was from Elegant Themes, rated amongst the top (google it if you dont agree), if not 'the top' premium wordpress theme providers on the market right now.

Your site looks like crap to be blunt and utilizing the theme I suggested would at least take it to a somewhat professional level.

I was not advertising as I am in no way affiliated with Elegant Themes, I am merely an advocate. There is a large difference.

To say my post was unhelpful to you is your opinion, but to say it was unhelpful to anyone who may stumble upon it is you being an ignorant ****** with no more than **** for brains.

Good luck with your endeavors, your going to need it with your attitude coupled with your lack of knowledge.

Edit: On a sidenote, whats the punishment for being an ignorant A hole?

Last edited:

DotCom

Please change the color background. The colors are hurting my eyes, its the green with the gray. Maybe a little darker grey would help. I do like the idea though!

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
removing posts because the OP does not like the answer is not the way it works.

as unhelpful as you may have found the message it was not spam, did not link to spam and did not violate any rule as far as I can see.

therefore it has every right to exist.

Shadee

The theme I showed you was from Elegant Themes, rated amongst the top (google it if you dont agree), if not 'the top' premium wordpress theme providers on the market right now.

Your site looks like crap to be blunt and utilizing the theme I suggested would at least take it to a somewhat professional level.

I was not advertising as I am in no way affiliated with Elegant Themes, I am merely an advocate. There is a large difference.

To say my post was unhelpful to you is your opinion, but to say it was unhelpful to anyone who may stumble upon it is you being an ignorant ****** with no more than **** for brains.

Good luck with your endeavors, your going to need it with your attitude coupled with your lack of knowledge.

Edit: On a sidenote, whats the punishment for being an ignorant A hole?

My apologies, I thought this forum was for reviewing websites. I was unaware that it was here to insult website designers and providing no other feedback other than to complain about their work. I suggest you spend some time researching how feedback can be given in a helpful manner, or excuse yourself to a part of the forums that is reserved for anger and insults (assuming one exists). This is not 4chan. Please respect other people regardless of your personal issues.

Shadee

removing posts because the OP does not like the answer is not the way it works.

as unhelpful as you may have found the message it was not spam, did not link to spam and did not violate any rule as far as I can see.

therefore it has every right to exist.

I understand. It's unfortunate that personal insults and bigotry are available on a review forum. They generally tend to be strictly controlled in order to reduce the amount of people who are just attacking creators instead of being helpful. I've reported his posts and will look forward to seeing what a mod has to say. Thank you very much for all of the advice you have provided!

Edit: I took a glimpse at the list of rules. Something popped out at me:

General Rules

1. Rude, offensive or threatening comments will not be tolerated! The WDF (Web Design Forum) staff has a zero tolerance policy on forum wars.

Last edited:

Shadee

Please change the color background. The colors are hurting my eyes, its the green with the gray. Maybe a little darker grey would help. I do like the idea though!

Thank you, I completely agree. I want the website to be in light tones, but I'm having trouble nailing down the exact shades of light grey/white and the green links and title texts. It's a work in progress and I just kinda left it where it was for now. Definitely working on the colors though!

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK, to clarify,
the post that is in question is...

1. that's not rude or offensive.
2. and it's not spam
3. and it's not advertising.

he made an assumption, perhaps a wrong one.
the storm in a tea cup that was created from that post seems like, to an outsider, a bit of overkill...

(the bit that offended me was the bit about using a template.)

I like robust discussion, I will not delete posts just because someone doesn't like what was being said (if that was the case, there would be no forum posts at all!)
opinions are opinions. however personal attacks are not on, albeit tho if one is thrown down, I'd give the recipient at least a right of reply :) ...

edit: the punishment for advertising (adult, pharma, general non-web related spam) is generally immediate banning.

the punishment for advertising crappy templates is generally the same as the punishment for being an a**hole (which is usually public flaming...)

you're both implicit in this. keep it above board please.

Last edited:

Shadee

Ok. In an effort to keep this thread on track so that the people who were being decent and helpful can continue doing so, I'm just gonna let it go. His other posts were quite clearly rude and out of line, but they're very easy to ignore. Why an experienced web developer feels the need to come into a newbie area to shit on fresh designers is beyond me, but if that's what makes him feel good about himself and it's what the mods support, then more power to him. I suppose the lesson I learned here is that if I ever feel the need to respond to a "review my website" post, I should simply link them to a website with paid templates, tell them they're a beginner and they should give up on trying, and just use something someone better than them made.

Last edited:

AsheSkyler

Dark grey or off-white. That light grey is just raging war with the green links.
Try toying around with this. Spin the color wheel a few times. You might find the perfect shade and scheme, you might waste your time.

The horizontal lines are a bit overpowering. Sometimes being subtle makes a better statement than being bold.

Now, before you go, read this: http://thinksimplenow.com/happiness/criticism/
When you ask for citrus and somebody gives you lemons, don't complain about how sour they are. Make lemonade. You asked for feedback, and that's what you got. So what if you were directed to a template? Give it a look. See if the template in question has design elements that would improve your own site, like toning down those horizontal lines.

Shadee

Dark grey or off-white. That light grey is just raging war with the green links.
Try toying around with this. Spin the color wheel a few times. You might find the perfect shade and scheme, you might waste your time.

The horizontal lines are a bit overpowering. Sometimes being subtle makes a better statement than being bold.

Now, before you go, read this: http://thinksimplenow.com/happiness/criticism/
When you ask for citrus and somebody gives you lemons, don't complain about how sour they are. Make lemonade. You asked for feedback, and that's what you got. So what if you were directed to a template? Give it a look. See if the template in question has design elements that would improve your own site, like toning down those horizontal lines.

I don't generally accept "you suck, copy someone elses work" as feedback. Your post was feedback. Phreaddee's post was feedback. webstudent123's post was not feedback. Feedback takes the ability to intelligently write out your thoughts and opinions into sentences, in order to explain them to another person. Feedback is going to be 99% negative, so that you can fix the things that are wrong, and I understand that, and that's exactly why I made the post in the first place. I also understand that some people feel the need to be pricks just to make themselves feel better.

Last edited: