New to this and will probably ask lots of stupid questions

Gizo

Hi
I am designing my first website,
I am using dreamweaver cs5, and looking for a reasonable graphic design program if anyone has any suggestions ( nothing to costly to start with).

from what I have learned so far web pages can be created in table format or css format, table seems much easier and looks pretty good.
my first website will be pretty simple with about 5 pages including a photo gallery, contacts, links, and home page.

I hope some of you won't mind giving me some advice and help.

Tim

leroy30

Tables are dead. CSS is actually much easier to manage for layout etc.

Try http://www.gimp.org/ it's a free programm for image manipulation. The best IMO is Adobe Photoshop but it is very expensive.

Good luck!

notarypublic

Follow this tutorial, and you'll be sold on using CSS layouts. Especially when you have to make changes to your design later - would you rather change one line of code, or update 5 nested tables to reflect your changes?

A little work up front will save you endless time later on. And best of luck!

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
hi. this debate continues to rage for many years.
its not a tables v css issue rather a tables v div issue.
as unless your table it totally unstyled it will use css, as will laying out with divs.
so either way you will need to learn css.
why then use an old, unreliable and outdated way of presenting when you still will have to learn the basics of css anyway?

Gizo

Thanks for the help guys.

I am going through the tutorials, but still mucking around designing a site in design view in dreamweaver,
when I go to preview view the site only takes up half the screen,
I have designed it 800 px wide

any suggestions

tim

zach

Thanks for the help guys.

I am going through the tutorials, but still mucking around designing a site in design view in dreamweaver,
when I go to preview view the site only takes up half the screen,
I have designed it 800 px wide

any suggestions

tim

Well since users have different screen resolution you don't want to set a full screen fixed width site based on your resolution only.

You should just center the entire site by using a wrapper.

If your using CSS this is the wrapper code to center a site.

CSS Code:

HTML:
#wrapper{width:800px;margin:0 auto;}

Once you add the CSS, you will need to wrap the entire site in the wrapper element.

HTML:
<html>
 <body>
    <div id="wrapper">
       SITE CODE HERE
    </div>
 </body>
</html>

dianabarone0127

Layout Problems

It's my first encounter with the dreamweaver and I'm seeking for tutorials or what. Your advices make sense to me. This would be a help. Thanks for your post.

Gizo

I have been going through a few different tutorials, and found some by createthenet.com, that make sense to me as far as HTML anyway.

I am starting to learn div's and it seems amuch better way to set up webpages but I am still struggling to do some thing with them.

Tim

locpicker

I think there is way too much work involved the way you guys create websites.

There are lots of programs out there that will write the css and more.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think there is way too much work involved the way you guys create websites.

There are lots of programs out there that will write the css and more.

fcuk is this guy for real? its about the third stupid thing i've noticed he has posted tonight. must be drunk.

sure. lets just dump it all in photoshop, slice it and export as a html page, better yet why not just make a page in word and save it as a html.

maybe he's the "friend of a friend that makes websites" you know the ones that we have to continually fix up for unhappy clients? yeah keep em coming buddy, you're my bread and butter...

d a v e

if you want free, then inkscape and the gimp (for vector and raster editing) otherwise have a look at adobe fireworks - ideal for web graphics and perfect partner to DW

one other option is paintshop pro, oh and i believe there are some free MS offerings that could be quite good but can't remember what they're called at the mo'