New to Flash, need some help

octapulse

I recently got Macromedia flash 8 professional (windows vista) and I have been working through some different tutorials. In one tutoral I created some text, converted it to a symbol (movie clip) and placed it in the upper left of the stage area. I then created a keyframe at frame 40, then dragged the text down to the lower right of the stage and selected modify/transform/flip horizontal. I then clicked a frame between 40 and 1 and selected Tween/motion. The document was set up at 12 fps and when I tested the movie, it would flash the text for a split second and then nothing else would happen. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong here?

LouTheDesigner

Flash 8 wasn't horrible at all. Though it may be a waste of money since he/she could have purchased CS4.

To the original poster,

Is there an arrow between frame one and frame forty, designating that a motion tween has been applied? Or is there a dotted line?

Instead of clicking a frame in between the two keyframes, just click the layer name to the left of the timeline, then choose Motion Tween.

Here are some possible mistakes that you may have made:

You said that you converted it into a movie clip, but are you working with it as a movie clip on the stage? When you click on it, does it say Movie Clip in the properties panel? If not, then you may been trying to manipulate the movie clip itself, rather than an instance of it on the stage.

Also, you said that you created a keyframe on frame 40, but when you click Insert Keyframe, did Flash bring you over to frame 40 to work with it on that frame, or did it remain on frame one?

Also, maybe a Horizontal Flip needs a shape tween rather than a motion tween.

Lou

Last edited:

LouTheDesigner

cs4 is worse! wow u wannabe webdesigners

Are you kidding me!!!

The addition of 3d objects, along with the ability to rig character skeletons. I can't believe what I'm hearing. Please name me a property of Flash 8 that made it better than CS4. One uncontestable fact is that Actionscript 3 is way better than 2, and most of what you can do in Flash is done with scripting anyway.

What the hell are you talking about?

emopoops

Banned
duh

yes it is overrated and heres why:
flash is for the websites which have no ggod content or eve good reason to be up and running. componys fill their so called awesome websites with flash and it makes them look even more stupid. there is no reason to use flash and let me tell you, flash is not onlyy overrated it is the enemy to the internet as we know it! make good use of yourself and learn some php and hard mysql CODE. figure it out. flash is for wussies that dont know how to desing REAL webpages.

wachtn

yes it is overrated and heres why:
flash is for the websites which have no ggod content or eve good reason to be up and running. componys fill their so called awesome websites with flash and it makes them look even more stupid. there is no reason to use flash and let me tell you, flash is not onlyy overrated it is the enemy to the internet as we know it! make good use of yourself and learn some php and hard mysql CODE. figure it out. flash is for wussies that dont know how to desing REAL webpages.

You are probly right... (sarcasm)
And I know you have dozens of well built sites with excellent content to prove your point to everybody. Would you mind posting them here for us to review and learn from?

LouTheDesigner

Is emopoops just an idiot or does he just have nothing better to do than sound like an idiot to annoy people?

Why assume that I don't know php or mysql? Do you realize that php, xml, etc. can be used in conjunction with actionscript?

As far as problems with Flash and SEO, I think we should see those problems fade in the not so distant future.

wachtn

Is emopoops just an idiot or does he just have nothing better to do than sound like an idiot to annoy people?

Not sure, I think he might just be very young and ignorent. Maybe a forum wide how to post in a forum will educate him some.

None of use started out knowing anything. That include how to behave in a forum.

Emo, you willing to learn to act right?