Need Some Help!!!

i_lov_it

Need some help!!! I'm still studying Web Design and I have my own website offering FREE web design so I can gain some more skills and a portfolio. Just a quick question, after designing a clients website is it up to the designer(ME) to pay for Hosting? Domain Name? etc. or is it just my job to design? thanks any help would be great. :)

DLPerry

i_lov_it said:
Need some help!!! I'm still studying Web Design and I have my own website offering FREE web design so I can gain some more skills and a portfolio. Just a quick question, after designing a clients website is it up to the designer(ME) to pay for Hosting? Domain Name? etc. or is it just my job to design? thanks any help would be great. :)

IMHO--
You can offer to assist the client if you so desire, and many do, but it is generally not the site designers responsibility to actually pay for the hosting.

That said, many designers do offer resold hosting services, if only as convenience for thier design cllients.

kristeejo

I choose to stay completely out of the hosting transactions. I don't want to be called at 2am if their site isn't up. :D

I put my choice of hosts inside my proposal as OPTIONAL SERVICES and clearly define that this is a transaction between them and this hosting business etc. I will help set them up if necessary.

Splendidesign

In my opinion, it is best to provide it. It shows the client that you are a business with wide stretching facilities and you can provide to their needs, without them having to lift a finger (except to hand over the cheque!). If you have reseller hosting it is good to provide for them as it means you host more sites and maybe when you host enough you can get your own server. At the end of the day, you don't have to, but it looks good if you do

ablaye

kristeejo said:
I choose to stay completely out of the hosting transactions. I don't want to be called at 2am if their site isn't up. :D

Smart move.
However, you can make some money with that too. Sign up to be an affiliate with the hosting company of your choice. Sign up your clients using your affiliate account and earn some additional dollars.