Need help to making this site "eye-popping"

leroy30

Hi joshbutcher,

To be blunt I can see what your client is getting at! It looks very plain. I would suggest having a look at:

- Enlarging text and increase line-height so that the text is easier to read.
- Widening the page to 850 - 950px (700 is a bit narrow on today's screens and you should be safe enough if it fits 1024 x 768)
- Change the color of the top blue bar. Try a subtle blue gradient and a darker line at the bottom of the bar - take off the cheap bevel you've added in photoshop!
- Add a stronger edge to the content of your page. At the moment the edge looks blurry due to the outer glow. Maybe make the glow more white and less grey-looking. Also maybe decrease the size of the glow.
- Keep things like gradients, shadows and glows on the more subtle side. The effect will register in the subconscious of the viewers to create that overall impression but if it's too strong you could generate some negative preferences.
- Because you have very little of a page header maybe make the "about me" the actual header with a logo and photo and small blurb. Take off the "About me" button.
- increase portrait size
- brighten background behind the text (keep it white?)

anyhow this should get you started. Think impact and simplicity!

Good luck!