Need a Starting Place

Raharu

Hi. I'm new. I don't know Jack about webdesign, and I'm sure you guys get this all of the time. BUT WAIT there's more. I've done a little bit of HTML and a few tutorials, but I'm too ADD to sit through that stuff.

Basically I have an idea for a website. It's a football play maker. I'm a football coach, and there's no decent football play making software out there, and I'd love to provide a website online for my fellow football coaches.

I'm not looking for anyone to design this for me. I'm more looking for the right words to google so that I can do some research.

The idea is pretty simple. I'd basically like to make a box where I can drag in some shapes and draw. I assume it'd be developed with Java script. Is there a name for that of thing?

Thank you so much! :D

notarypublic

Hi. I'm new. I don't know Jack about webdesign, and I'm sure you guys get this all of the time. BUT WAIT there's more. I've done a little bit of HTML and a few tutorials, but I'm too ADD to sit through that stuff.

Basically I have an idea for a website. It's a football play maker. I'm a football coach, and there's no decent football play making software out there, and I'd love to provide a website online for my fellow football coaches.

I'm not looking for anyone to design this for me. I'm more looking for the right words to google so that I can do some research.

The idea is pretty simple. I'd basically like to make a box where I can drag in some shapes and draw. I assume it'd be developed with Java script. Is there a name for that of thing?

Thank you so much! :D

I've more or less built something that can do these exact things (for web, tablet, and mobile). Are you interested in this from a business standpoint? As far as learning projects go, it took me the better part of a month at a previous contract to develop - and I knew what I was doing (most of the time ;) )

Raharu

I've more or less built something that can do these exact things (for web, tablet, and mobile). Are you interested in this from a business standpoint? As far as learning projects go, it took me the better part of a month at a previous contract to develop - and I knew what I was doing (most of the time ;) )
It would be fairly complicated, I'm sure. Every play would involve 22 pieces, and each of those pieces would have lines. The lines would need to change color at certain points and width. There would also need to be some system to organize the lines so that they don't over lap. For example, there are often multiple football players running to the same place, so the lines become this jumbled mess. You can get by that by coloring each of the lines and changing up the width and line type. So someone running the ball would have a different line from someone who's not running the ball. Ideally there would be some sort of organizing feature too so that it doesn't look like someone has drawn a line with a microsoft paint brush.

I'm not 100% on the revenue model of running a website like this, but I know the market for it is probably a couple hundred thousand, provided that it's free. That's because there are typically 3kk kids playing football each year from youth to high school, and this usually a 10 to 1 ratio of coaches to kids.The competitors would charge about $10 for an off line product, but most people use microsoft power point. I'm aiming to make something that's free and superior. There are things that you can do in power point, but they're a pain in the ass so nobody ever does them.

So basically the trick is coming up with a system that organizes lines really well. It also needs to print and be turned into a pdf. There will need to be some space for words. Those type of things. Can you do that?

notarypublic

It would be fairly complicated, I'm sure. Every play would involve 22 pieces, and each of those pieces would have lines. The lines would need to change color at certain points and width. There would also need to be some system to organize the lines so that they don't over lap. For example, there are often multiple football players running to the same place, so the lines become this jumbled mess. You can get by that by coloring each of the lines and changing up the width and line type. So someone running the ball would have a different line from someone who's not running the ball. Ideally there would be some sort of organizing feature too so that it doesn't look like someone has drawn a line with a microsoft paint brush.

I'm not 100% on the revenue model of running a website like this, but I know the market for it is probably a couple hundred thousand, provided that it's free. That's because there are typically 3kk kids playing football each year from youth to high school, and this usually a 10 to 1 ratio of coaches to kids.The competitors would charge about $10 for an off line product, but most people use microsoft power point. I'm aiming to make something that's free and superior. There are things that you can do in power point, but they're a pain in the ass so nobody ever does them.

So basically the trick is coming up with a system that organizes lines really well. It also needs to print and be turned into a pdf. There will need to be some space for words. Those type of things. Can you do that?

I'll mull this over and get back to you - If it's just something you'd love to use if it was available, I could see about making something and making it available (but I would be the one generating income from it). If you want it to be a business that you could be in ownership of, though, it gets more complicated.