Need A Review...

Cloak559

Hey all, this is my first post here so I thought I'd break the ice by letting you guys bash on me a little;)
...I have always done web design as a hobby, but recently after loosing my job decided to pursue the field as a career. I'm under the impression I have a good eye for design and layout, but not so much for optimization...Some advise on that front would be helpful.
I've just recently got into the jquery side of things instead of the flash based design. I can see it being a better solution, but also have some question....If anyone has some good links to write-ups on the pro's and con's of this I'd be grateful....

Thank You....

My Site:
The Coffee Shop - Graphic Business Solutions

d a v e

better not to abbreviate your name - it isn't instantly recognisable

all caps body text? i think not :)

"welcome to the next level" as a jpeg? WHY? you're a graphics solutions business and you don't know when to use which image format?!

"you can rest assure that your comanpy's image" typo, and you mean "assured" ;)

centred text = harder to read

some coding errors

i do like your logo a lot

Cloak559

better not to abbreviate your name - it isn't instantly recognisable

all caps body text? i think not

"welcome to the next level" as a jpeg? WHY? you're a graphics solutions business and you don't know when to use which image format?!

"you can rest assure that your comanpy's image" typo, and you mean "assured"

centred text = harder to read

some coding errors

i do like your logo a lot

Thanks for the review. I liked the small-caps font variant but i can see your issues with it. Ill switch that off, as well as extend the acronym I used there.

What would be the preferred image format for the text(png..gif..)? I've dealt mostly with PSD formats for printing in the past, and like i said, im not key on site optimization.

ill fix the typo, coding in do time....and what would you suggest on the text, should I straight lock it to the left side? or would simply reducing the margins suffice?

Thanks for the kudos on the logo :)

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
As a general rule, you should avoid using images for text as much as possible.

Ditto on the logo. Very nice.

d a v e

left align the text.

for simple images that aren't photographic or have complex gradients then use gifs or 8-bit pngs (note: not png-24 or png-32) ;)

flipperman

you should highligh what your site is about and benefit to your visitors and when broswing around it, i cant find a good solution what your site is about

I love the logo! The simplicity of your site works really well in my opinion too.

I think other people have already picked up on it before but I'm not too keen on the font and the fact that everything is in uppercase.

I'm finding it hard to fault your website really which is good so keep up the good work!

Cloak559

you should highligh what your site is about and benefit to your visitors and when broswing around it, i cant find a good solution what your site is about

Really.....Did you go to my site?

I find it difficult to believe you couldn't immediately figure out what it is I do.

orangecopper

Hi Cloak,

The Logo design is excellent. But the flash design you have used is pretty antique. Looks like a old template that used to be popular at times, give it more of a web 2.0 + look.

cheers
Josh

rwebber77

Really.....Did you go to my site?

I find it difficult to believe you couldn't immediately figure out what it is I do.

Yeah, your site's purpose is pretty obvious with the "Web Design and Graphic Business Solutions" header directly above the navigation. I think your site looks good and clean.

I've never been a fan of Flash sites (even though I have built and used them) and I'll show you why in the image below.

LoadTime.png

Almo99

I like those javascript highslide effects you have going on there. The navigation is pretty cool and it's very quick in my browser too. I like your site very much but I would make your coffeecup graphic more unique, I think. It sort of needs something, like a spiffy surface design or some color. Other than that your site looks good.

che09

I find your site a little bit of boring. I mean there's no life except of your LOGO. Mind you,I love it!! Put some colors in it!!

Cloak559

Thanks for the comments guys. I plan on sprucing up the graphics soon. My main objective was to get this site up and running so that my business had a legitimate appearance.

For those of you that mentioned flash, this site has no flash. Everything is jquery scripts.

Dorky

Fantastic. don't let the culture of nay saying get to you. i love coffee but what i love most about your site is the portfolio doesn't just drop off the page on a netbook, i get scroll bars. this is something you don't even find in lightbox. good work. less can be more and i think you did that well. asus netbook eeepc 1.6atom-cpu, ubuntu 10.04, chrome/ff. loaded
very fast.