Moving page

kateland

I feel silly asking this question, and I'm sure there is a simple answer, but I'm stuck.

I have 2 web pages from the same website. One does not extend beyond the bottom of the browser. It is a short page with very little content. The second is longer, and it extends beyond the bottom of the browser. When I navigate from the shorter page to the longer, the longer webpage is shifted to the left (by just a few px). Conversely, when I navigate from the longer webpage to the shorter, the shorter page is moved back to the right (in relationship to the longer page). Obviously, this only happens w/ centered sites.

That seems like a bunch of gibberish, but if anyone has any input, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!
Kate

kateland

Firefox 3.0.5

it looks fine in IE6 (which i have to keep on my computer :| ) i don't know about other versions of IE?

kateland

Are you navigating w/i the page? For instance, starting with the Introduction page (first link) and then under contents clicking 2. Analysis Preparation?

jnjc

I couldn't reproduce this issue, but at I guess I think it is because of the right hand side scrollbar.

When I view these pages, neither fits inside the browser without a scrollbar and there is no issue, I reckon your monitor resolution is pretty high, hence you are only getting scrollbars on the longer page and it's the browser adding the scrollbar that is causing the page to shift left.

There is no easy way around this (that I know). You could set a static height on a div that contains the text of the tutorial, and that would cause a scrollbar to appear on the div rather than the browser, but the problem with that is you need to use percentages to set the height and that would mean the entire page would need percentages and then the layout gets tricky.

You other option is to wrap the entire page in a div and set it's min-height really high, this will give you scrollbars on every page and a lot of white space down the bottom of smaller pages. By having a scrollbar on every page you will eliminate the jump.

All this said, I wouldn't worry too much about it, my resolution is 1440 by 900 and I get the scrollbar on both pages. I would imagine that most visitors will get the scrollbar on both pages also...

HTH,
JC

Strike Designs

No problems for me, but I also get vertical scrollbars on both pages.

Another solution, besides JC's above: you could change the layout so the pages are floated left, rather than centred - I don't think there'll be any jump then when navigating from a page without a vertical scrollbar to one that does have it.