Move DB to new host

s2002

I am using MYSQL as Website DB.I want to change my hosting company therefore I need to move my files and DB. My problem is that the DB size is about 800 MB. I don't know how to Move DB to new host?

Should I first move DB to my Computer and then upload to new host. Is there any fast and secure method for this purpose.

Arkette

Unless you have got one hell of a good broadband connection then I suggest you ask the server admin from your new host to transfer all the files from your previous host's server to the new one. That will save you an awfull lot of time and will be a lot less hassle.

DLPerry

I hate to post just to say, 'I agree', but....Arkette is sooo right. As a hosting services company owner in a previous life - I can say with some authority that moving your large DB files should be handled by your new hosts server tech. They should have access, connectivity and tools available to them that we end-users don't when it comes to this sort of thing. They 'may' charge an extra one-time fee for this service (some do, some don't) - but IMHO it is worth it to spend the money now to avoid more costly problems later.

--dlp

JamesCC

Well to be truthful moving a data base that big is a real pain in the a**

To start with phpAdmin is no help at all due to the file size limit that is placed to prevent server lock-ups. Trying to create a backup file with certin web apps will also fail (I have not fond one yet that could create a back up bigger then 10 megs).

Now depending on the control panel software (if there is one) and what kind of access is given to the end user (shell access or not) will dictate how this is best done.

But the bottom line is this takes time and can be very costly and if not done right the entire data base could be lost or corrupted beyond use which is just as bad.

Good luck,