Merchant account and Shopping cart

wmw

Hi,

My first e-commerce site will be up in a couple of weeks. I haven't not decided which third party merchant account and shopping cart to use to use. Can e-comm site owners share with me your experience with me? My website is written in phpMySQL. Thanks,

StephanieCordray

There are lots of free php written shopping carts. I've had my best experiences with osCommerce and Zen carts. osCommerce has a lot more features built in to it than Zen cart... not as far as templating but extras that you may or may not need.

As far as merchant accounts... well... my thought on that is:
Unless you will be selling a lot of products right away, you'll wind up losing money to the merchant account as your fees per month will be rather high. Later when you are selling they will also charge a fee for each order processed. In addtion, many of them really don't work well with online scripts. You might want to think of using a payment processing service such as paypal in the beginning which charges only order fees.

I didn't answer this before because I don't own a shopping cart, :). I only work with them for others.