Linking a flash button..

karlasdesign

I have created some buttons in flash mx, but when I place them in dreamweaver I dont know how to link them to other pages and stuff.
Can somebody please show me how.

StephanieCordray

which version of dreamweaver? I use MX in which there is a properties window... on mine at the bottom of the main window... to the right upper corner there is a box which is labeled link. That's where you put your link to another page. If it's to one of your pages, you don't have to add the http://www.yoursitename.com only the page name, if it is off site, you put everything there.

karlasdesign

it only comes out with when you are going to link graphics, or words, but when it is a flsh swf file only the play, edit flash properties come out, no linking box, I already look for all ober the screen and nothing, maybe I have to link it when I created the button on flash but I dont know how to do that in flash mx.
another problem I am having is that the button dosent eve show or work at all when I test the page, but the other flash files do, like the slide show and the ratation logo. I have no idea why, but only the buttons dont work, even when I use the ones that come with dreamweaver, in a regular html page they do work but when I make them into templates they dont!

StephanieCordray

How are you making them into templates? If you are making templates to sell or whatever, it's best not to make them dreamweaver or any other html editor specific which is what happens when you use the file dialog in the programs to make template packages.

I don't muck around with flash much but if you have the program is should be easy enough to import the flash files into the program, add your links, etc with action script. I'll try to help you do that, or maybe someone with more flash knowledge will, but I need just a little more info to know exactly what you need.

karlasdesign

I am trying to design a web site, not templates to sell, I open a regular html page, design the layout, then save it as template, and then I continue adding stuff to it, but I created a logo in flash that rotates and it works fine on the template, but when I add the rollover button that I design on flash mx, and then I test the page , the button dosent even come out or work at all, it even makes the flash logo that I had added before stop working!!. I am going to try design it everything on a regular html page, will add all the flash stuff to it and then save it as template, to see if it works.
I will keep it post it, let me know of any ideas or tips u guys know.

karlasdesign

I did what I mentin above and everything worked fine on the html page, so I created the template, and guess what, now it works, I guess I have to add eveythng whiles it is a html page. The only thing is that I still dont know how to make my flash button a link to my other pages, dreamweaver properties only gives me the flash file properties like I had mention before so I guess I have to do it in flash mx, but I dont know how.

StephanieCordray

The only thing is that I still dont know how to make my flash button a link to my other pages, dreamweaver properties only gives me the flash file properties like I had mention before so I guess I have to do it in flash mx, but I dont know how.

You are right about that... the links have to be done in Flash as well. In flash you use action script to make links work. The type of button kinda determines what action script you'll use. In the last version of flash that I played around with, it was a built in script rather than one you need to write yourself, so let's hope it's still that way.

There are a list of different functions under an Action Script from a drop down on the file menu. there should be a category for buttons... can't remember exactly what it's called but one will be 'on mouseover' another might be 'on click' and so on. If you have a bonafide copy of Flash there should be some good tutorials provided with the software. To veteran Flash users, linking is a very basic thing... to people like me who rarely mess with it... it's not that easy.... but I do remember there are tutorials in my version.